Jarrod from Jarrod’s Tech (not to be confused with our own Jarred Walton ) recently reviewed AMD’s new RX 6850M XT mobile flagship GPU against Nvidia’s RTX 3080 mobile graphics using Asus’ external XG mobile enclosures. Unfortunately for AMD, performance was rather disappointing for the RX 6850M XT in most of the games tested. Nvidia’s RTX 3080 mobile was 10 to 20% faster overall while drawing a whopping 37% less power. These results are unusual for AMD’s RDNA2 architecture, which we’ll get to in a moment. Asus Flow Z13 2-in-1 gaming device powered by Intel’s latest Core i9-12900H processor and 16GB of LPDDR5 RAM. The two discrete GPUs tested come in the form of Asus’ external GPU enclosures known as ROG XG Mobiles. These enclosures house either the RTX 3080 or the RX 6850M XT and are powered by their own power supplies. These devices are connected to the Flow Z13 via a custom PCIe interface running at up to Gen3 speeds with eight lanes available. 2021 ROG XG Mobile and comes with a maximum power rating of up to 150W. The RX 6850M XT model is the newer 2022 model and comes with a greater power rating of up to 165W.
Overall, performance was clearly in favor of the RTX 3080 XG mobile unit. It came out ahead in nearly all the games tested. The full set of games consisted of Microsoft Flight Simulator , Fortnite , Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition , Forza Horizon 5 , Control , Watch Dogs Legion , God of War , Dying Light 2 , Cyberpunk 2077 , Assassin’s Creed Valhalla , Far Cry 6 , The Witcher 3 , Call of Duty Warzone , and Shadow of the Tomb Raider . Shadow of the Tomb Raider , COD Warzone , and The Witcher 3 . That was at 1080p, where Nvidia averaged 9% higher performance. It also came out 11% ahead at 1440p, with the same selection of games favoring AMD and Nvidia’s solutions. The Witcher 3 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider ) were faster on AMD’s GPU.
Jarrod notes the RX 6850M XT’s behavior is very strange. In previous testing with the RX 6800M and RTX 3080 — in different laptops, not with Asus’ XG mobile devices — he found performance to be nearly equivalent between the two GPUs in gaming workloads, with both discrete GPU options having 150W power limits.
Spec for spec, the RX 6850M XT only features minor upgrades from the 6800M (hence the reason it’s not called a 6900M). Memory capacity and core count remain identical between the two SKUs, with the only difference being a 163MHz increase to GPU frequency for the RX 6850M XT, and a 2 Gbps uptick in memory speed for the GDDR6 modules which now run at 18Gbps. That could account for some of the power increase, but probably not all of it.
- AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT review: Get it while it’s hot
- AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT sets new world record at 3.2GHz
- GPU shortages aside, the powerful Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti is almost here
- Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 mobile acquits itself well in the Origin PC Evo17-S
- AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT : une sortie en avril pour affronter la Nvidia RTX 3060 ?
- Watch Dogs: Legion PC specs demand an Nvidia RTX 3080 for 4K ‘ultra’ settings
- GeForce RTX 3060 and 3060 Ti, Radeon RX 6700 XT Featured in the Latest Newegg Shuffle
- Les AMD Big Navi peuvent-elle voler la vedette à la Nvidia RTX 3080 ?
- Intel Xe DG2 gaming GPU leak reveals serious Nvidia RTX 3080 competitor
- Nvidia leak shows next-gen GPUs could be five times as powerful as RTX 3080
- RTX 3080, RTX 3090, and more on Newegg Shuffle for a limited time
- Nvidia RTX 2070 vs. GTX 1080
- RTX 3080 Ti launch reportedly pushed back to mid-May
- Here’s where to buy AMD’s Radeon RX 6700 XT graphics card
- Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti: When will it launch, how much will it cost, and how will it perform?
- Where to buy AMD RX 6700 XT - the latest graphics card has launched!
- Will Nvidia's cryptomining cards help you finally get an RTX 3080?
- Where to Buy Radeon RX 6700 XT, RX 6800 and 6800 XT, RX 6900XT
- Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti price, release date and specs – everything we know
- Leaked Pictures Claim to Show Liquid-Cooled AMD Radeon RX 6900 XTX Graphics Card
Nvidia's RTX 3080 Mobile Beats AMD's Flagship RX 6850M XT in Testing have 675 words, post on www.tomshardware.com at April 12, 2022. This is cached page on Konitono.News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.