Apple has informed partner suppliers that it has reduced iPhone 12 mini production plans for the first half of 2021, with manufacturing of some specialty parts suspended altogether, according to a report on Wednesday.
Citing industry sources familiar with the matter, Nikkei reports major suppliers were recently informed of the production shift that marks a change in Apple’s procurement strategy. Prior to the reported downward revision, the tech giant was aggressively buying semiconductors, printed circuit boards and displays amid a worldwide parts shortage.
Apple is targeting output at around 75 million iPhone units for the first half of 2021, down 20% from December 2020, the report says. Much of that downgrade is blamed on iPhone 12 mini. Nikkei sources note that demand for other iPhone models like the iPhone 12 Pro remains strong.
Today’s report echoes rumblings out of Apple’s Asian supply chain in January when Pegatron supposedly saw reduced orders for the diminutive iPhone. Foxconn, which is tasked with assembling the iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max , received an increase in orders for those models during the same period.
Apple introduced iPhone 12 mini last fall as an alternative to its flagship range, which has over the years entered into “phablet” territory. Though it sports a modest 5.4-inch display, the 12 mini integrates all the trappings of a modern iPhone including 5G connectivity, A14 Bionic processor, dual 12MP cameras with optical image stabilization, Face ID authentication and more.
- Apple just slashed iPhone prices in China as it continues to grapple with falling smartphone sales (AAPL)
- Apple reportedly wants to sell subscriptions to HBO, Showtime and more premium channels for $9.99 a pop
- Airbus abandons iconic A380 superjumbo amid waning demand
- Apple's top retail exec to leave amid iPhone sales slowdown
- Apple to ship iPhones with only Qualcomm chips to German stores
- Apple rises after report says there's an unexpected surge in iPhone 11 demand
- Updated Apple News app crashing on iPhone, iPad, Mac
- Apple Just Made the World's Best Phone Camera: iPhone 11 Pro Review
- New iPad Pro 2019, MacBook Pro and more could be revealed by Apple this month
- Apple sells many different iPad Pro tablets — here's how much they all cost
- Apple March Event Live Blog: Everything Announced
- Verizon's 5G service is here, but Apple could take over a year to build a compatible phone (AAPL)
- Dow Jones Leads Big Stock Rally, But Apple Falls On Buffett News
- Boise Cascade Company Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2018 Results
- Apple launches new iPad Air, iPad mini
- Apple accused of securities fraud over iPhone sales
- ZAGG Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2018 Results
- Apple retail boss Angela Ahrendts to go
- Nikkei: Apple Raises Production of iPhone 11 Models by 10 Percent
- New Delhi wants tech giants to boost production of iPhones ‘made in India’
Apple reportedly cuts iPhone 12 mini production amid tepid demand have 455 words, post on appleinsider.com at March 10, 2021. This is cached page on Konitono.News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.