AppleInsider is supported by its audience and may earn commission as an Amazon Associate and affiliate partner on qualifying purchases. These affiliate partnerships do not influence our editorial content.
Apple has informed partner suppliers that it has reduced iPhone 12 mini production plans for the first half of 2021, with manufacturing of some specialty parts suspended altogether, according to a report on Wednesday.
Citing industry sources familiar with the matter, Nikkei reports major suppliers were recently informed of the production shift that marks a change in Apple’s procurement strategy. Prior to the reported downward revision, the tech giant was aggressively buying semiconductors, printed circuit boards and displays amid a worldwide parts shortage.
Apple is targeting output at around 75 million iPhone units for the first half of 2021, down 20% from December 2020, the report says. Much of that downgrade is blamed on iPhone 12 mini. Nikkei sources note that demand for other iPhone models like the iPhone 12 Pro remains strong.
Today’s report echoes rumblings out of Apple’s Asian supply chain in January when Pegatron supposedly saw reduced orders for the diminutive iPhone. Foxconn, which is tasked with assembling the iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max , received an increase in orders for those models during the same period.
Apple introduced iPhone 12 mini last fall as an alternative to its flagship range, which has over the years entered into “phablet” territory. Though it sports a modest 5.4-inch display, the 12 mini integrates all the trappings of a modern iPhone including 5G connectivity, A14 Bionic processor, dual 12MP cameras with optical image stabilization, Face ID authentication and more.
- Apple reportedly won’t roll out iOS 13 to iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone SE
- iPhone 12 could be first with ‘all-screen design’, no notch or Face ID scanner
- iPhone 12 release date, leaks and what we're expecting
- iPhone 6: mass production of new sapphire screens begins
- Apple’s September 2019 event: Here’s absolutely everything announced
- Here's what we wish to see in the upcoming iPhones launching in 2020
- Apple sticks to higher prices for iPhones in Europe
- Apple to ditch Face ID for in-display Touch ID on upcoming high-end iPhone: Report
- TSMC to start production of A14 chip for 2020 iPhones: Report
- This company will start production of A14 chip for 2020 iPhones
- Apple supplier Salcomp buys Nokia’s Chennai phone unit for just Rs 215 crore
- The best Apple HomeKit devices of 2020
- Apple Unveils a New MacBook Air, Mac Mini, and iPad Pro
- Best Apple Boxing Day sale deals for 2019
- iPhone X Release: Apple Takes 'Shortcuts' With Face ID to Meet Demand
- Apple delays AirPods launch, says it needs more time
- iPhone 11 set to make Apple's Diwali a grand affair
- Sapphire crystal screens: why Apple is interested in a gemstone
- Apple AirPods 2 could be a reality in the next 6 months, likely to come with fitness tracker
- Apple's Chinese workers treated 'inhumanely, like machines'
Apple reportedly cuts iPhone 12 mini production amid tepid demand have 470 words, post on appleinsider.com at March 10, 2021. This is cached page on Konitono.News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.