Apple has informed partner suppliers that it has reduced iPhone 12 mini production plans for the first half of 2021, with manufacturing of some specialty parts suspended altogether, according to a report on Wednesday.
Citing industry sources familiar with the matter, Nikkei reports major suppliers were recently informed of the production shift that marks a change in Apple’s procurement strategy. Prior to the reported downward revision, the tech giant was aggressively buying semiconductors, printed circuit boards and displays amid a worldwide parts shortage.
Apple is targeting output at around 75 million iPhone units for the first half of 2021, down 20% from December 2020, the report says. Much of that downgrade is blamed on iPhone 12 mini. Nikkei sources note that demand for other iPhone models like the iPhone 12 Pro remains strong.
Today’s report echoes rumblings out of Apple’s Asian supply chain in January when Pegatron supposedly saw reduced orders for the diminutive iPhone. Foxconn, which is tasked with assembling the iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max , received an increase in orders for those models during the same period.
Apple introduced iPhone 12 mini last fall as an alternative to its flagship range, which has over the years entered into “phablet” territory. Though it sports a modest 5.4-inch display, the 12 mini integrates all the trappings of a modern iPhone including 5G connectivity, A14 Bionic processor, dual 12MP cameras with optical image stabilization, Face ID authentication and more.
- Solihull agrees homelessness strategy amid rising demand
- Superdry to cut jobs at head office amid £50m cost-cutting plan
- Report: China's Debt to Rise Amid Decreasing 'Shadow Banking' Risks
- Apple unveils new iPad Air and iPad mini 5 with Apple Pencil support in surprise announcement
- Foldable screen, triple camera and a FART sensor – the weirdest tech Apple’s iPhone 11 could feature
- New iPad mini 5 release date news – specs, price and all the rumours so far
- 5G iPhone ‘won’t be ready until 2021’ – years after rival Samsung’s two new models
- iPhone 11 WON’T be foldable like Samsung and Huawei rivals, expert warns
- iPhone ‘hacking boxes’ that break into your mobile sold on eBay for just £60
- Apple event – TV streaming service, paid news app and games subscription ‘launch today’
- Adrian Weckler: 'Can Apple make good movies?'
- Apple rumoured to be working on a smaller, cheaper iPhone for 2020
- Apple event: iPhone maker launches new credit card and TV streaming service to rival Netflix and Amazon
- Weak iPhone Sales See Mass Resignations, Decimate China Workforce
- Apple launches TV streaming service to rival Netflix and credit card
- iPhone 11 (2019) details leaked
- Apple unveils TV streaming service backed by host of A-listers
- Spotify hits back at ‘monopolist’ Apple in competition row
- 5,000 interviews, 200 indictments, and ONE Mueller report
- Lionel Messi vs the iPhone: How the greatest player in the world defies saturation point
Apple reportedly cuts iPhone 12 mini production amid tepid demand have 462 words, post on appleinsider.com at March 10, 2021. This is cached page on Konitono.News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.