announced in 2017 , representing Apple’s first foray into the competitive smart speaker market. The HomePod was never replaced with an updated model, despite the HomePod mini launching with new ultra-wideband features and an improved top display.
According to Gurman, Apple was planning to release an updated version of the HomePod in 2022, five years after its original announcement:
Before the discontinuation of the larger HomePod, the company had been working on an updated version for release in 2022.
While it is unclear what features or changes were coming to the now-scrapped 2022 HomePod, it is highly likely that it would have, at minimum, had HomePod mini features like an U1 ultra-wideband chip, a newer processor, and possibly a larger top display.
Apple hoped that the HomePod’s high-quality sound would give it an edge over competing products, but sales of the HomePod have always been lackluster with so many other affordable options on the market. Apple was selling the HomePod for $299, but it was originally priced at $350 before a $50 price drop. The HomePod mini is available for $99, which is far more competitive against equivalent smart speakers from Google and Amazon.
Siri ‘s shortcomings compared to Google Assistant and Alexa.
Going forward, Apple said in a statement that it is focusing on the HomePod mini . The HomePod mini offers all of the features of the HomePod in a smaller and less expensive package. Many reviews praised the HomePod mini for its sound quality relative to its size, and while it does not quite match the sound available from the HomePod, it features the same Siri integration, Apple Music support, and HomeKit controls.
Gurman also revealed that following the demise of the HomePod, Apple is working on ” new speakers with screens and cameras ,” a claim that has seemingly been supported by new FaceTime and iMessage frameworks and a new AVFCapture framework being added to the HomePod’s software , so we may still see a brand new larger-sized HomePod be released at some time in the future.
- Apple AR headset launch not until 2022, according to internal presentation [U]
- What to expect from Apple's 'Hi, Speed' new 'iPhone 12' event on October 13
- Beginner's guide: How to set up and get started with your new HomePod
- iPad Air, affordable Apple Watch, 'AirPods Studio,' small HomePod predicted for fall
- Hands-On With the New HomePod Mini
- Upcoming HomePod 14.4 Software Update to Add New HomePod Mini U1 Features
- Apple has worked on new iMac's speaker designs since 2019
- Apple launches new Apple Wallet & Apple Pay webpages
- AirPods Max won't support Apple Music lossless over Lightning, HomePod also left out
- Amazon Music HD cuts price as Apple Music Lossless launches
- Apple AR headset to launch in Q2 2022, says Kuo
- Apple Working on a Thinner, Lighter Version of MacBook Air, Launch Expected in 2022
- Apple unveils WWDC 2021 plans, including new developer 'Pavilions'
- Apple rumoured to launch its AR headset in Q2 2022
- WWDC costs Apple $50M a year, new Apple Park developer center coming
- What to expect from the Apple 'iPhone 12' launch in 2020
- New Mac mini: Apple's plans for the Mac mini in 2021
- Apple could finally launch 'AirTags' in October
- Tim Cook confirms Apple Card will launch in more countries
- Apple reportedly planning on making podcasts to promote Apple TV+
Apple No Longer Planning to Launch New HomePod in 2022 have 554 words, post on www.macrumors.com at March 29, 2021. This is cached page on Konitono.News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.