Apple on Friday announced the discontinuation of the full-size HomePod , saying it plans to focus on production and development of the HomePod mini.
Apple informed TechCrunch of the product’s end of life in a statement today.
HomePod mini has been a hit since its debut last fall, offering customers amazing sound, an intelligent assistant, and smart home control all for just $99. We are focusing our efforts on HomePod mini. We are discontinuing the original HomePod, it will continue to be available while supplies last through the Apple Online Store, Apple Retail Stores, and Apple Authorized Resellers. Apple will provide HomePod customers with software updates and service and support through Apple Care.
The company plans to sell remaining HomePod units until stock is depleted, though Apple’s online storefront is already sold out of Space Gray models. Support will also continue until the product is declared obsolete.
Announced at WWDC 2017, HomePod was Apple’s first foray into the smart speaker market and provided users voice access to Siri and HomeKit without an accompanying iPhone, iPad or Mac. Powered by an A8 processor, the device featured cutting-edge audio technology like beamforming microphones, adaptive audio, an advanced echo cancellation system and more.
A flagship device, HomePod failed to gain traction in large part because of its $349 price tag. Apple later reduced that figure to $299, but the cost was still too much for consumers to swallow. Though it touted amazing sound for such a small package, HomePod’s performance — specifically paired “stereo” mode — was eclipsed at its market price point by dedicated home theater setups.
Today’s announcement might not come as a shock to some, as HomePod went four years without a hardware revision.
It seems Apple is content to push development of HomePod mini , a smaller, less tech-heavy device that was introduced in 2020 and boasts all of the connectivity and smart functions as its larger sibling. Though it lacks the audio prowess of a seven-tweeter array and large woofer, the smaller HomePod mini is more versatile with newer internals that enable features like physical Handoff capabilities. Perhaps most importantly, the device is cheaper.
Stay on top of the latest Apple news right from your HomePod . Say, “Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider,” and you’ll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for “AppleInsider Daily” instead and you’ll hear a quick update direct from our news team. And, if you’re interested in Apple-centric home automation, say “Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider,” and you’ll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.
- Apple announces Sept. 12 event to unveil new iPhones
- iPhones, iPads, Macs and more: Everything Apple could announce
- Apple set to unveil iPad, MacBook overhauls
- Apple expected to unveil new iPhone models on September 12
- What to expect from Apple's October Mac event
- Apple to unveil iPad, MacBook laptop overhauls on Oct. 30
- Apple to unveil iPad, MacBook laptop overhauls Oct. 30
- Samsung's foldable phone is real and folds out into a tablet
- The Morning Download: CIOs Must Maneuver to Attract Scarce Tech Talent
- iPhone XS too big for small hands? Options could leave you empty-handed
- Dual-SIM iPhone Variant Leak Again in a New China Telecom Poster
- Floating homes that can withstand Category 4 hurricanes will soon become a reality
- Topic of the Week: Is the iPhone X sexist?
- Black Friday 2018: Target offers deals on TVs, tech, appliances
- Halloween 2018: Events for kids and teens in New Jersey, NYC and PA
- Gauze and sealant a temporary fix to leak at International Space Station
- Good Grub
- From best to worst, 56 new foods at the 2017 Minnesota State Fair
- Top Chef star Richard Blais opening fried chicken joint, The Crack Shack, in Costa Mesa
- NMSU nutrition specialist offers tips to make Halloween healthier
Apple discontinues full-size HomePod, to focus on HomePod mini have 622 words, post on appleinsider.com at March 13, 2021. This is cached page on Konitono.News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.