AppleInsider may earn an affiliate commission on purchases made through links on our site.
Apple informed TechCrunch of the product’s end of life in a statement today.
HomePod mini has been a hit since its debut last fall, offering customers amazing sound, an intelligent assistant, and smart home control all for just $99. We are focusing our efforts on HomePod mini. We are discontinuing the original HomePod, it will continue to be available while supplies last through the Apple Online Store, Apple Retail Stores, and Apple Authorized Resellers. Apple will provide HomePod customers with software updates and service and support through Apple Care.
The company plans to sell remaining HomePod units until stock is depleted, though Apple’s online storefront is already sold out of Space Gray models. Support will also continue until the product is declared obsolete.
Announced at WWDC 2017, HomePod was Apple’s first foray into the smart speaker market and provided users voice access to Siri and HomeKit without an accompanying iPhone, iPad or Mac. Powered by an A8 processor, the device featured cutting-edge audio technology like beamforming microphones, adaptive audio, an advanced echo cancellation system and more.
A flagship device, HomePod failed to gain traction in large part because of its $349 price tag. Apple later reduced that figure to $299, but the cost was still too much for consumers to swallow. Though it touted amazing sound for such a small package, HomePod’s performance — specifically paired “stereo” mode — was eclipsed at its market price point by dedicated home theater setups.
Today’s announcement might not come as a shock to some, as HomePod went four years without a hardware revision.
It seems Apple is content to push development of HomePod mini , a smaller, less tech-heavy device that was introduced in 2020 and boasts all of the connectivity and smart functions as its larger sibling. Though it lacks the audio prowess of a seven-tweeter array and large woofer, the smaller HomePod mini is more versatile with newer internals that enable features like physical Handoff capabilities. Perhaps most importantly, the device is cheaper.
Stay on top of the latest Apple news right from your HomePod . Say, “Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider,” and you’ll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for “AppleInsider Daily” instead and you’ll hear a quick update direct from our news team. And, if you’re interested in Apple-centric home automation, say “Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider,” and you’ll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.
- HomePod mini to launch in three more countries this month
- First Listen: HomePod is Apple's AirPods, enhanced for your house
- Apple's HomePod isn't about Siri, but rather the future of home audio
- Apple's HomePod mini is now available in Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland
- Editorial: After taking the premium tier, HomePod will expand in markets Amazon and Google can't
- Everything Apple Announced Today in Just Over Seven Minutes
- What history teaches about Apple's windows of opportunity for 2017
- How HomePod serves as a hub for Siri HomeKit automation and entertainment
- Apple's Mac mini plans: M2 and the future of the Intel model
- Comment: HomePod has made me optimistic about that over-ear headphone report
- Isn't it about time Apple reveals a new MacBook?
- Here's what a future Apple foldable might look like | Digital Trends
- Apple's new $1,599 Studio Display is aimed at creative pros | Digital Trends
- HomePod mini arriving in the Netherlands, Switzerland, and Belgium at the end of March
- Apple HomePod mini 2021 review: Smarter, more colourful
- How to Disable Automatic Updates on HomePod Mini
- HomePod Mini Launching in Belgium, Netherlands, and Switzerland at End of March
- What to expect from Apple in early 2022 - MacBook Air, Mac mini, iMac Pro, and more
- Apple unveils its most advanced headphones to boost holiday sales, AirPods Max, at Rs 59,900
- Apple Releases HomePod Software 15.4
Apple discontinues full-size HomePod, to focus on HomePod mini have 637 words, post on appleinsider.com at March 13, 2021. This is cached page on Konitono.News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.