AppleInsider is supported by its audience and may earn commission as an Amazon Associate and affiliate partner on qualifying purchases. These affiliate partnerships do not influence our editorial content.
Apple this week posted repairability scores for flagship iPhone and Mac products in France, a measure mandated by the country’s government in January.
The listings, known as repair indexes, are now displayed on official Apple Store app purchase pages and on Apple’s website, reports MacGeneration . Current-generation flagship devices including the iPhone 12 , iPhone 11 and iPhone SE series, as well as MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models, carry the informational mark designed to offer insight into a product’s life cycle.
Separately, Apple has posted a dedicated webpage on its French website with links to detailed repair index reports covering documentation; disassembly, access and tools; parts availability; parts pricing; and software and services support. Indexes are self-reported and assigned based on cumulative scores in a range of sub-categories.
All models in the current iPhone 12 series were assigned a score of 6 out of 10. The iPhone 11 and 11 Pro received a 4.6, while their larger stablemate, the iPhone 11 Pro Max, came in with a score of 4.5. Apple rated its iPhone SE 2 at 6.2. On the Mac side, the 2020 MacBook Air ranked the highest with a score of 6.5 out of 10, followed by the 2020 16-inch MacBook Pro at 6.3, and the 2020 13-inch MacBook Pro M1 at 5.6.
Apple has generated repair indexes for iPhone 12 Pro Max , iPhone 12 Pro , iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini , iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro , iPhone 11 Pro Max , iPhone SE (second-generation), iPhone XR, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XS, iPhone X , iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8 , iPhone 7 Plus and iPhone 7 . MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models manufactured in 2018, 2019 and 2020 are also included.
France’s repairability index mandate went live on Jan. 1, and applies to manufacturers of smartphones, laptops, TVs, washing machines, and lawnmowers. The legislation was enacted to reduce waste and promote a circular economy. While producers assign their own scores, those claims can be refuted by competitors and officially scrutinized by the General Directorate for Competition Policy, Consumer Affairs and Fraud Control.
The development arrives as the European Union pushes to install consumer right to repair laws that could require companies like Apple to introduce product labels detailing device durability.
- Compared: Samsung's Galaxy S10 range vs. Apple's iPhone XS and iPhone XR
- Desklab Ultralight Portable 4K Monitor review: Bright and convenient display for Mac & iPad
- Apple Silicon for Mac Machines Announced at WWDC 2020, Ditching Intel: Here's All You Need to Know
- Apple expands iPhone XS and XR trade-in program countries around the world
- Redmi K50 Series Teased to Feature CyberEngine Vibration Motor, Could Rival Haptics on Apple’s iPhone Models
- There’s one area Microsoft is beating Apple – with right to repair
- Review: iPhone SE is the definition of affordable smartphone power
- How to use Handoff on a Mac | Digital Trends
- April 2020 in review: iPhone SE, contact tracing, Magic Keyboard for iPad
- What to expect from Apple's Q1 2022 earnings report on Jan. 27
- iPhone SE now available with early pre-orders in customers' hands
- Apple announces glass-backed iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus w/ A11 Bionic chip, 4K 60 fps video, calibrated for AR, wireless charging
- In-depth Review: Apple's iOS 6 Maps & the alternatives
- Apple's Digital Books tool for iPad transforms written reports with rich photos, illustrations
- Apple Said to Launch New Mac Processors as Early as 2021, to Take on Intel’s Fastest
- How to use Apple Arcade on a Mac | Digital Trends
- M1 apps: Which apps are compatible with M1 Macs?
- Apple’s Next iPhone Will Lack This Crucial Feature
- Apple hiring Maps experts, iOS 7 will recruit users to 'Help Improve Maps' with Frequent Locations
- How Apple Alienated Mac Loyalists
Apple now displays iPhone and Mac repairability scores in France have 585 words, post on appleinsider.com at February 26, 2021. This is cached page on Konitono.News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.