Cheri Bustos, a Democrat, represents Illinois’ 17th District in the House of Representatives. The views expressed here are her own. Read more opinion at CNN. (CNN)Brace yourself. You’re about to read a plea from a politician that has nothing to do with politics. I’m not going to throw around legislative terms or talk about parliamentary rule. Here’s why: Cheri Bustos When there is nothing separating you from an armed mob except a door and a few brave cops, you are no longer a politician. You are simply a mom, a wife, a daughter and a citizen. Legislation is the furthest thing from your mind; all you want in that moment is to live. On January 6, as rioters stormed the US Capitol, heading to the House floor, my goal was to survive. It was that kind of moment. Primal. Read More I did what I could to help those near me. And I also listened to people like Rep. Ruben Gallego — not because we’re from the same party, but because he’s a Marine Corps veteran who fought in Iraq. I quickly realized I was too tall to hide under the seats. I learned in a hurry how to use… Read full this story
- 'I always wanted to live by the sea'
- Belfast mum Michelle Bradley: I was so depressed I told my husband if I can't get better I don't want to live anymore
- ‘I just want to live in the moment’ says Celtic boss Neil Lennon
- Drama queens: Why the real royals' lives are far stranger than fiction
- Doubling back on the 1950s with a Tardis-like home built for future living
- Why have one extension when you can have two? Tardis-like Dublin home built for future living
- Brexit Live: All eight options defeated in ‘indicative votes’ process
- 'Live in the moment with your children'
- The stories of 27 people from every EU country now living in Wales
- Brexit live: MPs react after Theresa May makes Commons statement
- Brexit live: Prime Minister loses Commons vote on Brexit proposals
- I live in my Transit van after being evicted
Rep. Bustos: 'All you want in that moment is to live' have 341 words, post on edition.cnn.com at January 13, 2021. This is cached page on Konitono News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.