AppleInsider is supported by its audience and may earn commission as an Amazon Associate and affiliate partner on qualifying purchases. These affiliate partnerships do not influence our editorial content.
Following an interview critical of the service on Monday, Tom Hanks has clarified some of his feelings about the release of “Greyhound” on Apple TV+ .
Hanks previously told The Guardian that the “Greyhound” release on Apple TV instead of in cinemas was an ” absolute heartbreak ,” largely due to the differences in picture and sound quality.
In a televised interview on NBC’s “Today” show on Tuesday morning, Hanks has added some additional clarifications about “Greyhound” on Apple TV. He said that he’s “actually thrilled that Apple TV+ is making it possible for everyone to see it.”
Hanks went on to call theater closures due to the coronavirus health crisis “heartbreaking,” and added that Apple “saved the day for us” by allowing anyone with an Apple TV+ subscription to watch the film.
“Barring that, Apple has saved the day for us,” Hanks added. “We had a magnificent movie that was not going to be seen. Apple is a benevolent streaming service in every way.”
The actor and filmmaker went on to call the partnership with Apple TV+ a “magnificent deal.”
“We are going to be able to fill up the screens in the living rooms and the bean-bag chairs of the world all in one fall shot, so we feel as though we were rescued at sea by a convoy with a big Apple logo with a bite taken out of it,” Hanks said.
A full transcript of Hanks’ comments on The Today Show can be seen below.
I’m actually thrilled that Apple TV+ is making it possible for everybody to see it This is a magnificent gift that’s come to us because of Apple because COVID-19 did something heartbreaking to us all: it closed down the theaters. We don’t have the cinema. There isn’t anybody that doesn’t like going to see a good movie with 800 people and coming out with something in common. Barring that, Apple has saved the day for us. We had a magnificent movie that was not going to be seen. Apple is a benevolent streaming service in every way. It’s going to look fantastic but it’s going to be available. It is going to be viewable, and otherwise we would’ve languished in a vault for a movie that is 88 minutes of a thematic story that does speak to what we’re all going through right now. We didn’t know that at the time we made the film, we were just trying to make a lean, new spare version about procedures and behaviors about how difficult it was to stay alive in the North Atlantic in 1942. It’s a magnificent deal and we are going to be able to fill up the screens in the living rooms and the bean-bag chairs of the world all in one fall shot, so we feel as though we were rescued at sea by a convoy with a big Apple logo with a bite taken out of it.
Apple acquired “Greyhound,” a WWII film focused on allied naval forces during the Battle of the Atlantic, to the tune of $70 million in May .
The film will make its debut exclusively on Apple TV+ on Friday, July 10.
- Tom Hanks says he was offered William Shatner’s spaceflight but refused to pay $28million
- Tom Hanks, a real-life rescue dog and a robot sidekick team up in post-apocalyptic buddy comedy
- Tom Hanks war movie ‘Greyhound’ finds berth at Apple TV+
- Finch: 20 years after Cast Away, Tom Hanks' man alone once more in Apple's drama
- Apple Loving Tom Hanks As New Release ‘Finch’ Eclipses ‘Greyhound’ To Become Streamer’s Most Watched Film Opening
- Tom Hanks' 'Finch' posts the biggest opening weekend ever for Apple TV+
- Elvis movie trailer: Baz Luhrmann gives first look at Austin Butler and Tom Hanks – WATCH
- Apple TV+: Complete list of shows and movies
- New Tom Hanks Sci-Fi Movie 'Finch' Premieres on Apple TV+
- Tom Hanks is alone again in 'Finch,' with only a dog and robot for company
- Jennifer Garner joins Apple TV+ show 'The Last Thing He Told Me'
- Apple TV+ Movie 'Finch' Sets New Opening Weekend Record
- New Tom Hanks adventure film 'Finch' premieres on Apple TV+
- Finch review: This time Tom Hanks' castaway pal is a winning CG robot
- News of the World Review: Tom Hanks is Brilliant as Soldier Rescuing Little Girl from Ravages of Civil War
- Apple orders 'High Desert' comedy starring Patricia Arquette for Apple TV+
- Ricky Gervais hits out at Tom Hanks for thinking he's 'above' infamous Golden Globes jokes
- New Tom Hanks movie ‘Finch’ now available to watch on Apple TV+
- The new Tom Hanks film ‘Finch’ is Apple’s most popular film premiere to date
- Tom Hanks Refused to Pay Jeff Bezos $28M for Blue Origin Space Flight
Tom Hanks now says 'Greyhound' film was 'rescued at sea' by Apple TV+ have 813 words, post on appleinsider.com at July 7, 2020. This is cached page on Konitono.News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.