(Corrects advisory line. Third paragraph figure should be 1.9 billion tonnes, not million. No changes to text.) * H2 coal imports may fall as much as a quarter -analysts * China already imposed strict curbs on coal imports * No sign of China to single out Australian coal imports -analysts By Muyu Xu and Melanie Burton BEIJING/MELBOURNE, May 20 (Reuters) – China is expected to tighten coal import rules in the second half of 2020 to shore up its struggling domestic industry, after record arrivals in the first four months, just as demand tanked because of the coronavirus outbreak. Imports could drop as much as a quarter in the second half from the corresponding 2019 period, analysts estimate, which is likely to boost pressure on major coal exporters, such as Australia, Indonesia and Russia, which are already battling weak demand because of the virus. China’s total thermal coal consumption may reach 1.9 billion tonnes from July through December, said Yu Zhai, a senior consultant at Wood Mackenzie. Imports would account for about 80 million tonnes of that, or a quarter less than the 107 million in the corresponding 2019 period, Yu expects. James Stevenson, a senior director at IHS Markit,… Read full this story
- Australian miners hit by biggest thermal coal price drop in more than a decade
- UPDATE 1-China Jan-Feb iron ore imports rise on firm demand despite virus disruption
- Analyst Calls: Tata Motors, Sun Pharma, BPCL, MFSL, NTPC
- Luxury brands in a quandary as China's wealthy young develop resistance to bling
- Transcript: Former top defense official Robert Work on "Intelligence Matters"
- 3 reasons why fall in crude prices won't benefit India
- The changing winners and losers from oil’s historic plunge
- Using bird’s nests to enhance resistance during the epidemic season
- Avoiding the Mistakes of the “Old” Buharinomics
- BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES MARCH 14
- BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES MARCH 13
- How Saudi Arabia is trying to CRIPPLE Russian oil industry by flooding world market and dropping price to 30-year low in fight over coronavirus that could hit Trump's re-election hopes by triggering US recession
CORRECTED-RPT-China to slash H2 coal imports to back domestic miners, analysts say have 324 words, post on www.reuters.com at May 20, 2020. This is cached page on Konitono News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.