(Corrects to clarify 1.9 million tonnes coal consumption in paragraph 3 is thermal coal only, not including metallurgical coal) * H2 coal imports may fall as much as a quarter -analysts * China already imposed strict curbs on coal imports * No sign of China to single out Australian coal imports -analysts By Muyu Xu and Melanie Burton BEIJING/MELBOURNE, May 20 (Reuters) – China is expected to tighten coal import rules in the second half of 2020 to shore up its struggling domestic industry, after record arrivals in the first four months, just as demand tanked because of the coronavirus outbreak. Imports could drop as much as a quarter in the second half from the corresponding 2019 period, analysts estimate, which is likely to boost pressure on major coal exporters, such as Australia, Indonesia and Russia, which are already battling weak demand because of the virus. China’s total thermal coal consumption may reach 1.9 billion tonnes from July through December, said Yu Zhai, a senior consultant at Wood Mackenzie. Imports would account for about 80 million tonnes of that, or a quarter less than the 107 million in the corresponding 2019 period, Yu expects. James Stevenson, a senior director at… Read full this story
- Biden Likely to Fine-tune US Global Sanctions Regime, Analysts Say
- Iron ore is saving Australia's trade with China. How long can it last?
- Joe Biden 'Cleansing Himself' of Soft-on-China Accusations: Beijing Analyst
- May Day travel rush mirrors China's speedy recovery from COVID-19
- Analysts Warn of Economic, Security Collapse in Lebanon
- China sees domestic tourism boom as Covid-19 fears ease
- Coronavirus origin could be revealed within months if China released all data, WHO adviser says
- Does Q1 economic picture satisfy Viet Nam's expectation?
- U. of San Diego Will Not Punish Prof Who Criticized Chinese Government
- Milley to Howard graduates: Your generation will make military 'truly inclusive of all'
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS MAY 5
- Are Europe's Climate Action Goals Realistic?
CORRECTED-China to slash H2 coal imports to back domestic miners, analysts say have 303 words, post on www.reuters.com at May 20, 2020. This is cached page on Konitono News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.