ITV and the BBC will pause programming tonight (April 2, 2020) and it’s for a VERY good cause.
We take you through what will be happening this evening.
⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates
Why is ITV off air?
ITV and the BBC will pause its programming tonight to Clap for our Carers - giving the nation a chance to pay tribute to the enduring efforts of the NHS and other key workers across the country once again.
Ahead of The Martin Lewis Money Show at 8pm, ITV will switch off the channel as the broadcaster urges members of the public to stand on their doorsteps and balconies – keeping a safe distance apart – and applaud our key health care workers.
ITV’s regular programming will be replaced by idents specially created by ITV Creative, encouraging viewers to donate to NHS Charities Together.
The BBC will broadcast live coverage of the nation clapping for the NHS staff working against the spread of the deadly disease.
Programming will be paused for five minutes.
What is the Clap for our Carers?
The first Clap for our Carers took place on March 26, and will now go ahead on a weekly basis.
Millions of people across the UK stood and clapped from their doorways in unison to honour staff and carers who have been working tirelessly throughout the coronavirus pandemic.
Landmarks including the Royal Albert Hall and Wembley Arch joined in as they were lit up blue throughout the tribute and the hashtag #LightItBlue highlighted it on Twitter.
More on ITV
When does The Sister start on ITV and what is it about?
Quiz writer claims millionaire cheats the Ingrams are PLEASED with ITV drama
Midsomer Murders’ John Nettles explains why he quit ITV drama after 13 seasons
Quiz writer says Chris Tarrant still gets emotional over cheat scandal
THE SHOW MUST GO ON
Britain’s Got Talent tells fans to ‘keep smiling’ in first-look teaser
STILL COMING HOME
ITV to show Euro 96 for free including England’s historic semi-final run
ITV hit with 160 Ofcom complaints for airing virus film Contagion during pandemic
The Trouble With Maggie Cole fans love Friday Night Dinner crossover
Coronation Street facing Ofcom complaint after Ken swears at Norris – but fans love it
What has ITV said about pausing programming?
ITV has also urged the public to share messages of support and love amongst one another, and check on neighbours at this time of isolation, through their landmark mental wellness campaign, Britain Get Talking, which continues throughout the month.
Carolyn McCall, Chief Executive at ITV, said “ITV is joining the rest of the country in thanking everyone in the NHS and carers who are doing such a vital and fantastic role – so we will pause our programming at 8pm to applaud the heroes within the NHS for the remarkable efforts they are making, and raise as much money for NHS charities as we can thanks to our viewers’ generosity.”
- To donate to NHS Charities Together Covid 19 campaign go to virg.in/ClapForOurCarers.
- Ex-Love Island star Adam Maxted to return to ITV on WOS Wrestling
- STV Glasgow TV station goes on air
- Report claims BBC will fire Jeremy Clarkson Wednesday
- Clarkson gets support from fans, ITV
- Countdown to Russia: Ronaldo’s redemption to Roger Milla’s dance, the No9s that shone at the World Cup
- Here's when today's 2018 FIFA World Cup starts where you live — and how you can watch it live online
- World Cup 2018: Jose Gimenez grabs late winner for Uruguay to break Egyptian hearts
- World Cup 2018: Cristiano Ronaldo’s ability to put fans on the edge of their seat was forged at Manchester United
- World Cup 2018: Ex-Brazil president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva to commentate on World Cup 2018 from his jail cell
- England vs Tunisia, World Cup 2018: What time is kick-off tonight, what TV channel is it on and what is our prediction?
- Watch the World Cup final live: What TV channel is France vs Croatia on and how to livestream
- Antoine Griezmann celebrates World Cup final goal with 'disgusting' Fortnite dance
- The winners and losers in the 2018 World Cup broadcast battle
- Tour de France 2018, stage 21: Geraint Thomas seals overall victory after Alexander Kristoff wins on Champs-Elysees
- Christian Horner's awkward commentary stint and other on-mic kisses of death
- STV marks 60 years in the business
- Clarkson, Hammond, May sign for Amazon Prime Video: the world reacts
- Can Ferrari save F1? CAR+ February 2016
Why are the BBC and ITV off air? have 754 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at April 3, 2020. This is cached page on Konitono.News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.