In July 1983, an anonymous letter appeared in an obscure newspaper in New Delhi claiming that the AIDS virus had been invented at Fort Detrick, in Maryland. The author identified himself as an American scientist and said that the virus was intended to be a biological weapon for the U.S. military. The allegation was picked up and published in a well-known Soviet journal and then reported in newspapers around the world.The letter was written by the KGB, which was also a financial backer of the Indian newspaper. It was part of Operation Infektion, and its false claims about AIDS still echo around the world.The Russians have never stopped playing this game. In recent weeks, an internal European Union document has alleged that Russian media are waging a “significant disinformation campaign” to heighten anxiety and dissent in societies affected by the coronavirus, including amplifying Iranian accusations that it is a U.S. biological weapon. And Russia is hardly alone. China is combining propaganda and the techniques of U.S. soft power to try to evade blame for the pandemic and stake its claim to global leadership. Opinion Op-Ed: How living through the siege of Sarajevo prepared me for coronavirus Opinion Op-Ed: How living… Read full this story
- Pence, Pompeo say they did not author 'resistance' NY Times Op-Ed
- Trump calls on Times to reveal 'coward' behind critical op-ed
- Trump wants Attorney-General Jeff Sessions to investigate source of anonymous NYTimes op-ed
- RA 10592 does not exclude convicted heinous criminals
- Give Duterte the break for a people’s revolutionary government
- Open government contracting
- Sex-ed rollback puts transgender girl in harm’s way, tribunal told
- Reality Check: Does the largest party form the government?
- Fracking won't endanger UK's climate targets, says Ed Davey
- Growth and governance
- Negri Sembilan sees drop in road fatalities in “Op Selamat 15”
- Palace: All gifts to Duterte turned over to OP
Op-Ed: As coronavirus cases multiply, so does government disinformation have 303 words, post on www.latimes.com at April 11, 2020. This is cached page on Konitono News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.