Berlin officials warn against high expectations for Germany’s EU presidency European countries outline plans to return to public life Bill Gates praises German Chancellor Angela Merkel for coronavirus response Updates in Universal Coordinated Time (UTC/GMT) 06:20 Germany will decide on state aid for Lufthansa once the airline applies for aid and all of the facts are on the table, German Economy Minister Peter Altmaier told public broadcaster Deutschlandfunk. “We want large and important companies that play a role in the world market to remain competitive after the crisis,” Altmaier said, adding that companies receiving state aid must suspend their dividends and show restraint on management bonuses. Lufthansa’s CEO Carsten Spohr said this month that the flag carrier would seek state aid in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Belgium, citing losses at a rate of €1 million ($1.1 million). The German government is said to be considering a rescue package worth between €9 billion and €10 billion, according to sources close to the matter. There is disagreement, however, about what form such aid should take and about the degree to which the government should nationalize the airline. 05:50 More than one million people in Australia have downloaded a new government smartphone application designed to aid coronavirus… Read full this story
- House stimulus vote update: Here’s the latest on third checks, extra unemployment
- US Vice President Mike Pence receives COVID-19 vaccine
- From shortlisting promising candidates to negotiations: How Singapore procured its first COVID-19 vaccine shipment
- France to reopen border with England for travellers cleared of COVID-19
- US Congress seals agreement on COVID-19 relief, government funding
- South Korea to boost testing as COVID-19 surge threatens 'medical collapse'
- COVID-19 curbs tighten in Europe as global deaths top 1.3 million
Coronavirus latest: Berlin downplays EU presidency hopes have 276 words, post on www.dw.com at April 27, 2020. This is cached page on Konitono News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.