BRITAIN is set for further misery with snow, ice and more floods expected today.
The Environment Agency has issued two “danger to life” flood warnings in Shropshire and a further 103 flood warnings and 147 flood alerts across England and Wales.
The Environment Agency forecast ongoing flooding during the coming days, with the UK having seen nearly all of its average February rainfall.
Some areas experienced a month’s worth of rain in 24 hours over the weekend.
Low-lying areas along the River Severn are forecast to be hit by severe flooding today due to record-breaking river levels.
Flood defences could be breached in Ironbridge, Shropshire, and Bewdley, Worcestershire.
Homes were evacuated yesterday after the River Aire burst its banks in Snaith, in East Yorkshire with social media users posting footage of water pouring over flood banks.
The Environment Agency said: “Groundwater levels across parts of Dorset, Wiltshire, Hampshire and Sussex are continuing to rise and will lead to further flooding later this week.
“As of 12.30pm on Tuesday there are two severe flood warnings for Ironbridge and Shrewsbury, meaning there is an immediate risk to life.”
A further 106 flood warnings, meaning that flooding is expected, and 155 flood alerts, meaning that flooding is possible, are also in place across the country.
Flooding in central Shrewsbury forced the cancellation of train services between the Shropshire town and the West Midlands on Tuesday afternoon.
The Environment Agency, which has mobilised more than 1,000 staff per day since the start of Storm Dennis, is urging people to check their flood risk and remain prepared to take action.
Caroline Douglass, director of incident management at the Environment Agency, said: “Our thoughts are with all who have been and continue to be affected by the persistent and extreme weather.
“It is devastating to see your home or business flooded, and as the case is for some, be asked to evacuate.
“River levels remain exceptionally high and communities along the River Severn, in particular Shrewsbury, Bewdley, Bridgnorth and Ironbridge, should be ready for potentially severe flooding.
“River levels are also of concern on the lower River Ouse at Cawood.
How to save £268 on your energy bills (Sponsored)
AVOID energy price rises this winter with Switchcraft.
Why is it important to switch suppliers regularly?
Energy suppliers save the best deals to attract new customers, while moving existing customers to higher rates.
Switchcraft lets you know every time you can save money by switching.
- Sign up in 3 minutes and get instant energy quotes.
- Let Switchcraft find you better deals every year, saving you time and money.
- Get £5 free cashback or an Amazon voucher* when you sign up between 9 December 2019 and 2 March 2020.
The £5 will be paid into your bank account within 120 days of completing the switch. *Prepayment meter customers will receive a £5 Amazon voucher. Open to those 18 and over. UK residents only. Click here for full T&Cs. News Group Newspapers Limited has a brand partnership with Switchcraft.
most read in news
BBC’s Nick Robinson tested for coronavirus and C4’s Jon Snow in isolation
21 schools in coronavirus lockdown as crisis plan could see ALL UK classrooms shut
Thousands face mass coronavirus testing at GPs and hospitals across UK
London office on coronavirus lockdown after employee reports flu-like symptoms
‘Strong sperm’ can impregnate women in swimming pools, claims child safety boss
Parents who made son kneel on pile of buckwheat so it grew into his skin, jailed
“We urge people to stay up to date and listen to the advice of emergency services.”
Ms Douglass added: “We are in our fourth week of exceptional river levels and stormy weather.
“With the effects of climate change, we need to prepare for more frequent periods of extreme weather like this.
“People need to be aware of their flood risk, sign up to flood warnings, make a flood plan and not to drive or walk through floodwater.”
- UK weather: More rain forecast after flash floods across Britain
- Using iPhone in UK hot weather could ‘permanently shorten battery life’, warns Apple
- El Niño weather event ‘highly likely’ to strike planet within three months…and could ruin summer 2019, experts warn
- iPhones are getting so cold they turn OFF – and your battery life can plummet
- Ice sheet 60 times the size of England could melt causing 4m sea-level rise – and plunging UK coasts into OCEAN
- Polar vortex that brings deadly -50C snowstorms ‘could become REGULAR winter story’ as experts warn over climate change link
- 'Get to Britain before Brexit': 21 MORE migrants are caught trying to cross Channel in tiny dinghys a day after record 93 made the journey as people smugglers tell them border will close after UK leaves the EU
- How old ghosts are haunting Ireland
- First death reported after Hurricane Michael slammed into the Florida Panhandle
- The 20 best survival games on PC
- Christmas ghost stories: Dark Christmas by Jeanette Winterson
- Freezing a city to death in Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
- The history of the strategy game
- Killzone 3 Walkthrough
- The FP Dragons’ Den Submissions Shortlist
- Class war anarchists descend on Boris and Carrie's flat as it emerges she's 'too afraid to return' after anti-Brexit neighbours called police on them and handed row recording to newspaper
- Sneak Preview: Battlefield 3: The Russian
- Alaskan Communities Struggle With Dwindling Law Enforcement Numbers
- History of Papyrus Racing Games
- The Expanse is the smartest sci-fi series on TV, but its insightful human factor makes it unmissable
UK weather forecast – Danger to life’ warnings issued as snow, ice and more floods to batter Britain TODAY have 886 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at February 26, 2020. This is cached page on Konitono.News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.