Volkswagen said Friday that it would invest $2.6 billion (€2.3 billion) in autonomous driving company Argo AI as part of an alliance with Ford to share the high risks and costs of developing self-driving, electric vehicles. The German carmaker said it would invest $1 billion in cash in the Pittsburgh-based company and add its own $1.6 billion-valued autonomous driving unit to the arrangement. VW’s investment would give it and Ford an equal stake in Argo AI and, together, they will have a majority interest in the company valued at $7 billion. Read more: China is most important battleground for carmakers “While Ford and Volkswagen remain independent and fiercely competitive in the marketplace, teaming up and working with Argo AI on this important technology allows us to deliver unmatched capability, scale and geographic reach,” Ford CEO Jim Hackett said. Watch video 02:38 Share Electromobility – a viable alternative? Send Facebook Twitter google+ Whatsapp Tumblr linkedin stumble Digg reddit Newsvine Permalink https://p.dw.com/p/3LSQ8 Explained: Electromobility – a viable alternative? The carmakers also said Ford would use VW’s existing electric vehicle technology to develop a fully-electric car for European customers. The Detroit-based manufacturer said it hopes to sell 600,000 electric cars a year starting in 2023. VW… Read full this story
- MIT Students Kick Self-Driving Mini-Cars into High Gear with GPU-Powered Data Science Workstations
- Safety board blasts Uber for 'inadequate safety culture' after company's self-driving test car struck and killed female pedestrian
- Bugatti In Talks With VW Group About Four-Seat Electric Car
- A game changer is coming for electric car owners
- Self-Driving Cars Will Completely Change How Vehicles Look in the Future, Says Mate Rimac
- Self-driving trucks: what's the future for America's 3.5 million truckers?
- Jaguar tests its first ever all-electric car on London's roads
- Hyundai reveals shock electric car partnership
- Uber safety policies were 'inadequate', says watchdog investigating self-driving car death
- Self-driving cars should choose to save YOUNG people instead of the old - and there's bad news for pets too
- The Only Way For Long-Term Electric Car Sales To Work Is To Do What The Communists Did
- 'Peak SUV,' self-driving cars and Trump's tariffs: Auto insiders sound off on the biggest challenges they face
VW, Ford cooperate on self-driving, electric car technology have 361 words, post on www.dw.com at December 7, 2019. This is cached page on Konitono News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.