A federal judge has blocked Los Angeles from enforcing a law requiring companies that seek contracts with the city to disclose whether they have ties to the National Rifle Assn.The preliminary injunction issued Wednesday marks an initial victory for the gun rights group, which sued the city earlier this year over the law.The City Council in February moved to require prospective contractors to disclose under affidavit any contracts or sponsorships they or their subsidiaries have with the NRA. The city has similar policies about companies involved in the construction of President Trump’s proposed border wall and over the historic investment in or profits from slavery.City Councilman Mitch O’Farrell championed the law, citing the mass shootings seen across the country and told reporters earlier this year that the NRA has “been a road block to gun safety reform at every level of government now for several decades.” Advertisement The NRA argued the law violates the 1st Amendment right to free speech and association and the 14th Amendment right to equal protection under the law. The suit was filed on behalf of the NRA, including a John Doe, who is described in court documents as an NRA member and business operator with… Read full this story
- Mueller Wants Manafort to 'Sing' Against Trump, Federal Judge Says While Questioning Special Counsel’s Scope
- How area members of Congress voted on nuclear waste, federal judge, other issues
- Federal judge ‘weary’ of immigration crackdown, says it 'destroys families'
- Can the Federal Judge’s Ruling On Trump’s Twitter Actually Be Enforced?
- Ohio prisons system cannot cut Rastafarian inmate's dreadlocks, federal judge rules
- Republican senators override Democrat objections to confirm Trump-picked federal judge in Wisconsin
- Federal judge accuses Mueller's team of 'lying,' trying to target Trump: 'C'mon man!'
- Federal judge weighs request to stop ICE practice of separating families
- Federal judge ups Reno police sergeant's jury award to $1.4 million
- Federal judge approves deal to provide air conditioning at geriatric Navasota prison
- Schumer: White House insisted on Sinatra, not Sweet, as federal judge
- GRA official laments failure to enforce anti-corruption laws
Federal judge halts enforcement of L.A.'s NRA disclosure law have 353 words, post on www.latimes.com at December 12, 2019. This is cached page on Konitono News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.