By CNN.com Wire ServicePUBLISHED: September 19, 2019 at 11:10 am | UPDATED: September 19, 2019 at 11:11 am By Ashley Strickland | CNN We know that mysterious ancient humans called Denisovans once lived alongside Neanderthals, thanks to a few bones and teeth recovered from a cave in Siberia. Now, for the first time, researchers have shared what they might have looked like. The previously recovered bone fragments include a pinky bone, teeth and a jawbone. Denisovans also left a genetic legacy that lives on today in the DNA of some Asians, Australians and Melanesians. A Denisovan genome was sequenced in 2012 and compared with that of modern humans, revealing the trait. Denisovans not only interbred with Neanderthals, but with archaic Eurasian humans as well. Because their DNA lives on in some humans today, researchers have reason to believe that they once lived all throughout Asia. Yet, the fossil record is incredibly sparse. Scientists may have been able to sequence their genome, but this small fossil record made it difficult to piece together their appearance — until now.In order to piece this puzzle together, researchers had to go a different route than normal reconstruction: DNA methylation data. This process relies on… Read full this story
- Newly discovered strange 'grinning' crocodile-like creature lived 372 million years ago
- Newly discovered 'grinning' crocodile-like creature lived 372 million years ago
- Analysis of Denisovan Fossil Reveals a Distinctly Human-Like Finger
- Fossilized remains of lizard-like creature dubbed 'Tiny' reveal the ‘missing link’ between humans and fish
- Egypt archaeologists make ‘most intriguing discovery yet in mysterious underwater opening'
- The Totally Unexpected True Story Of Yi Jianlian's Magical Mystery Chair
- Look Ahead: The hottest Seattle events for November 2019
- New Experiment Reveals Secret Behind 200,000-Year-Old Neanderthal Glue
- Scientists just named an ancient sea creature after Barack Obama
- Apple Arcade updated: The full list of games for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and iPod Touch
- io9's Guide to All the Movies You Give a Damn About in 2017
- Mansour: While Democrats Pursue Impeachment, President Trump Builds Impressive Record of Accomplishments
This is what mysterious ancient humans might have looked like have 331 words, post on www.mercurynews.com at September 19, 2019. This is cached page on Konitono News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.