Brian Melley, Associated Press
Updated 1:02 pm CDT, Thursday, September 19, 2019
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A crewman injured in the fire that killed 34 people aboard a dive boat off Southern California has sued the boat owner and the company that chartered the vessel.
Ryan Sims filed the lawsuit last week in Ventura County Superior Court saying the Conception dive boat was unseaworthy and operated in an unsafe manner.
Attorney Kurt Arnold says Sims was the steward and was sleeping on the upper deck of the boat when he was awakened by loud noises the morning of Sept. 2 and found the vessel on fire.
Arnold says his client was trapped and had to jump to the lower deck, where he broke his leg in three places.
A lawyer for the Santa Barbara-based boat company did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment on the lawsuit.
- Chilika boat tragedy: Boat owner held
- Boat owners seek to head off lawsuits after 34 die in fire
- Boat owner's tribute as probe into sailing tragedy begins
- Duck boat owner settles with Missouri family over fatal sinking
- Boat owner wants $1,500 liability cap in accident that killed 3 kids
- 20 fishermen go missing in rough seas
- No return: The final voyage of the crab boat Destination
- Crew reports multiple attempts to save 34 boat passengers
- US investigators fail to find cause of fatal diving boat fire
- Owners of dive boat that sank off California coast, killing 34, suspend operations
- The Latest: Feds seize evidence in fatal boat fire probe