Good music just seems to be in the Backstreet Boys’ DNA.
Touted as the best-selling boy band in history, the pop group featuring Nick Carter, Howie Dorough, Brian Littrell, AJ McLean and Kevin Richardson kicked off its “DNA World Tour” — its biggest arena tour in 18 years — on May 19.
Produced by Live Nation, the extensive tour follows the release of the group’s new album, “DNA,” featuring “Don’t Go Breaking My Heart,” “Chances” and “No Place.”
Not long after their performance Sept. 14 at PPG Paints Arena, Pittsburgh, the tour heads to venues in Japan, China, Taiwan, Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines and Singapore.
Best for the group
“When this group started 26 years ago — and through all the highs and lows of our career — we’ve had to learn it wasn’t about us as individuals but about what’s best for the group,” Dorough says.
Richardson said that’s what he loves most about songs from the album they’ll be performing in Pittsburgh.
“We were able to bring all of our influences and styles into one coherent piece of work,” he says. These songs are a great representation of who we are as individuals and who we are as a group. It’s our DNA. We’re really proud of that.”
And, good news for Backstreet Boys fans: The story isn’t over.
“The journey is ongoing with us, and there is so much left to do,” says Littrell. “We’re living the next chapter that hasn’t been told yet, and that’s exciting.”
Did you know?
Here are 6 facts to know about the Backstreet Boys:
1. Their Grammy-nominated 10th studio album, “DNA,” was released Jan. 25, debuting at No. 1 and featuring their Top 10 hit, “Don’t Go Breaking My Heart.”
2. “Don’t Go Breaking My Heart” was nominated for the “Pop Duo/Group Performance” 2019 Grammy and is their first hit on the Billboard Hot 100 in 10 years. It also went to No. 1 on iTunes Top Songs and Global charts and charted in more than 22 countries.
3. The album “DNA” features songs written by Ryan Tedder and Shawn Mendes, Lauv (Charli XCX), Andy Grammer, Stuart Crichton (DNC) and Mike Sabath (J Balvin).
4. The Backstreet Boys have sold more than 130 million records worldwide.
5. Their 2017 collaboration with Florida Georgia Line, “God, Your Mama and Me,” became the group’s first No. 1 single on country radio. Their partnership also earned the group a CMT Music Award for Performance of the Year.
6. The Backstreet Boys’ three-year residency, “Larger Than Life,” was the fastest-selling residency in Las Vegas when it ended in April 2019.
Backstreet Boys set list
Compiled by setlist.fm, this list is from the group’s Sept. 1 “DNA World Tour” concert in Dallas:
“I Wanna Be With You”
“Don’t Want You Back”
“Get Down (You’re the One for Me)”
“Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely”
“More Than That”
“The Way It Was”
“Shape of My Heart”
“Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)”
“As Long as You Love Me”
“Don’t Wanna Lose You Now”
“I’ll Never Break Your Heart”
“All I Have to Give”
“Everybody (Backstreet’s Back)”
“We’ve Got It Goin’ On”
“It’s Gotta Be You”
“That’s the Way I Like It”
“Get Another Boyfriend”
“I Want It That Way”
“Don’t Go Breaking My Heart”
“Larger Than Life”
Candy Williams is a Tribune-Review contributing writer.
The Backstreet Boys will bring their DNA World Tour to Pittsburgh for one performance at 8 p.m. Sept. 14 at PPG Paints Arena.
- Backstreet Boys to perform in Manila
- Watch Emily Blunt sing 'I Want It That Way' with the Backstreet Boys
- Police: 11-year-old biker killed after hit-and-run, suspect now in custody
- Kirsten Dunst says she'd be happy to film a 'fun' sequel to her hit Bring It On
- The top boy band song from the year you were born
- Pandora, Rhapsody Bring Social Music Power To The People
- Quebec premier raises idea of boycott of Sico paint company
- Mindless Behavior: Behind the Business of America’s Hottest Boy Band
- Limo shortage could bring 'black eye' to Georgia
- Charlotte takes massive tourism and economic hit with CIAA relocation announcement
- Big Boys Toys convention to make Las Vegas debut
- Rescuers bring 8th person out of Thai cave: witness