GWANGJU, South Korea: Mack Horton received a round of applause from fellow swimmers at the world championships after refusing to share the podium with China’s Sun Yang, American breaststroker Lily King said on Monday.Sun, who previously served a doping sanction in 2014 and was labelled a “drug cheat” by Horton before the Rio Olympics final, was given the green light to compete in Gwangju after being cleared by a FINA panel of breaching the governing body’s rules earlier this year.However, the World Anti-Doping Agency is seeking to overturn the decision at the Court of Arbitration for Sport, leaving Sun’s career hanging in the balance a year out from the Tokyo Olympics.After finishing runner-up to Sun in the 400 freestyle on Sunday, Olympic champion Horton took his silver medal and then stood behind the podium while his Chinese rival and bronze medallist Gabriele Detti shared the spotlight.While the move drew criticism from some quarters of the media, and outrage from Chinese swimming fans, King said the Australian had full support from his peers.”We were waiting around for the awards ceremony just to see what was going to happen,” said King.”It was awesome. When we walked into the dining hall he walked… Read full this story
- Sun Yang abandoned by China fans, Mack Horton gets apology
- Lilly King, Olympic hopeful swimmers train in Indiana pond
- 2022 Pan Pacific Championships canceled as swimming calendar shifts
- Missing Marina Del Rey Swimmer Believed To Be Ex-WWE Star Shad Gaspard
- Protesters set up camp outside Dominic Cummings’s home and blast Boris Johnson’s ‘stay at home’ speech on a huge screen
- Olympic swimmer Rebecca Adlington is in lockdown with her ex-husband AND lover
- Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps arrested on DUI charge
- John Legend takes a dive with Olympic hopefuls as he celebrates his progression from novice to 'Olympic-level artistic swimmer'
- Swimmer has terrifying encounter with huge shark in nail-biting footage
- Caeleb Dressel co-hosts a podcast. It’s not about swimming.
- Logo disqualifies Colorado swim team from state championship
- Terrifying moment Paralympic swimmer manages to race away from two SHARKS that were heading straight for him while he trained off of Spanish coast
Swimming: Fellow swimmers hail Horton for podium protest have 366 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at July 21, 2019. This is cached page on Konitono News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.