The recently reunited Spice Girls will be thousands of miles away, but genuine girl power should reign supreme at the 2019 edition of Nissan Super Girl Surf Pro.
To be held Friday through next Sunday at the Oceanside Pier and Junior Seau Pier Amphitheatre, it’s billed as “the world’s largest women’s surf event and festival.”
The surfing competition begins at 7:30 a.m. Friday and at 8 a.m. Saturday and Sunday.
There will be a total of 21 bands and solo artists performing over the weekend, starting around midday each day and continuing to 6 p.m.
The lineup, which largely features women artists, includes Natasha Bedingfield, Hey Violet (who perform at 4:15 p.m. Saturday) and such talented San Diego troubadours as Astra Kelly and Jessica Lerner.
The weekend will also include an all-female DJ contest, an empowerment panel, yoga, dance, more than 20 free classes and more.
Nissan Super Girl Surf Pro: Friday, Saturday and next Sunday. Junior Seau Pier Amphitheatre at the Oceanside Pier, 200 North The Strand, Oceanside. Free. supergirlpro.com
- Beach beckons with summer-like weather this weekend, but beware of strong surf, rip currents and chilly water
- Opinion: Congress must fund land, water conservation program
- Philly’s PnB Rock releases first single since arrest
- Dick Dale, 81, King of the Surf Guitar, Dies
- Rock Bridge girls soccer wears down Battle in rivalry win
- Success On A Green New Deal Runs Through Public Lands
- Super Bowl LIII: Every Record Tom Brady and the New England Patriots Can Beat in Atlanta
- After inauspicious entry into NFL, Jonathan Jones returns to Super Bowl with Patriots
- Trey Flowers keeps focus on Super Bowl LIII, not impending free agency
- Super Bowl reaches 100.7M people, down from 2018
- Jonathan Jones plays pivotal part in Patriots’ winning Super Bowl strategy
- Super Soaker inventor ‘overwhelmed’ after Mobile school addition named after him