The top mayoral aide who brokered a bitter dispute over O’Hare Airport gates between United and American Airlines has taken a top job with United.
O’Hare’s largest carrier on Thursday named Deputy Mayor Robert Rivkin the airline’s senior vice president and general counsel.
Deputy Mayor Robert Rivkin | Provided photo
Rivkin is the former Delta Airlines executive who served as general counsel to former U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, one of Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s closest friends in politics.
Last year, Rivkin played a pivotal role in negotiating airline use and lease agreements that laid the groundwork for Emanuel’s $8.7 billion O’Hare expansion plan.
He sided with hometown United, O’Hare’s flagship carrier, in a gate dispute with American that nearly derailed or delayed the project.
American had accused Emanuel of favoring its archrival by awarding United five additional gates.
Now, Rivkin will be one of United’s top executives.
Emanuel had charged Rivkin with negotiating a contract with visionary billionaire Elon Musk to build a “Tesla-in-tunnel” transit line to whisk passengers between downtown and O’Hare.
But, the clock is expected to run out on a project that mayoral candidates are unanimous in opposing before Emanuel leaves office.
Aside from Emanuel, Rivkin was the project’s No. 1 cheerleader. Late last year, he returned from a California test run raving about the technology.
A press release announcing the high-profile hiring quoted United CEO Oscar Munoz as singing Rivkin’s praises.
“Bob’s distinguished career in public service, the legal community and the airline industry make him an ideal fit for this critical role on our United team,” Munoz said.
“He’s a proven leader who will make an immediate impact as we work to fulfill United’s incredible potential.”
- Clean Power Plan Promises More Jobs and More Justice
- What role did race plan in Andrew Gillum’s loss to Ron DeSantis?
- UPS expects automation, expansion plans to boost earnings by 2022
- West Virginia's Manchin gains key role on energy panel
- Honigman experiences high turnover rate as it embarks on expansion plan
- China Military Expansion Plans Revealed As New Warships Launched
- 8 in 10 Unemployed Americans Say They'd Take any Job They Can Get
- Conway: Fired Aide Kelly Sadler May Qualify for Other Admin. Jobs
- New Projects and Updates From the IRS Employee Plans Compliance Unit
- Expansion Plans
- Campaigners make their case against Stansted expansion plans
- Justine Greening: Government must rethink Heathrow Airport expansion plans