OPTIMISTIC Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un have met up for the start of the pair’s historic second summit.
The US President earlier left Hanoi’s plush JW Marriott Hotel in Hanoi flanked by bodyguards and aids.
The tycoon earlier took to Twitter in a new bid to sweet-talk Kim into giving up Pyongyang’s controversial nuclear arsenal.
Trump said he believed North Korea had all the potential to thrive just like the ‘peace’ summit’s host country of Vietnam.
“Vietnam is thriving like few places on earth. North Korea would be the same, and very quickly, if it would denuclearise,” he wrote.
“The potential is AWESOME, a great opportunity, like none other in history, for my friend Kim Jong-un. We will know fairly soon- very interesting!
He later hit back at his critics and while vowing he would work hard to strike a deal with Him over his nukes within the next 48 hours.
The US leader also said he believed China, Russia, Japan and South Korea could help turn Kim’s kingdom into an economic powerhouse.
Trump and Kim were due to meet at 6.30pm local time (11.30am UK time) at the Sofitel Legend Metropole Hotel.
They will have a brief one-on-one meeting before joining top aides for a banquet dinner.
The talks will then continue throughout Thursday.
Analysts expect Kim to accede to a further curtailment of his nuclear ambitions, but the talks are unlikely to secure full disarmament.
Kim is expected to stay in Vietnam until Saturday, making it his longest foreign trip as leader.
He has previously stayed in China for four days, including travel time.
It is rare for a North Korean leader to be absent from his country for such a long period.
While Trump held a series of meetings with his Vietnamese hosts, Kim remained at his hotel while his officials toured scenic Halong Bay.
The leaders first met in Singapore last June, but no agreement was met on moves for North Korea to give up its nuclear arsenal.
Trump arrived late in the capital on Tuesday in Air Force One after a long flight that included refuelling stops in England and Qatar.
His arrival came after despot Kim Jong-un reached Vietnam in the early hours of yesterday morning having travelled to the city by train.
Grinning broadly, the dictator stepped off an armoured carriage before being driven to the capital, Hanoi, in a bulletproof Mercedes limo.
Trump has predicted it will be a “very productive summit” which will kick off with today’s private dinner.
He tweeted : “Heading over to Vietnam for my meeting with Kim Jong Un. Looking forward to a very productive Summit.”
Trump has praised Pyongyang for ceasing middle tests and has appeared to ease up on demanding a timeline for disarmament.
Kim is expected to ask for relief from crushing US sanctions.
China is now urging North Korea and the US to “meet each other halfway” in talks between Kim and President Trump starting Wednesday.
Foreign ministry spokesman Lu Kang said China hopes that the talks will achieve denuclearisation and lasting peace and stability on the Peninsula.
Albanian killer fighting deportation over right to happy family life beats wife
£148m EuroMillions winner scoffs 50 home-delivered Cornish pasties every WEEK
TREE OF TERROR
Mum horrified to learn what the strange ‘pods’ were hanging from branches
CRUISE YOU LOSE
Clueless couple stranded as cruise leaves WITHOUT them because they’re late
Momo Challenge in ‘Peppa Pig and Fortnite vids’ as YouTube and Instagram slammed
Stacey Solomon fears for kids after Momo Challenge spreads to YouTube & Fortnite
He said to achieve those goals, North Korea and the US should fully understand each other’s legitimate concerns and “meet each other halfway.”
‘Legitimate concerns” is a reference to North Korea’s call for security guarantees from the US.
Following a historic first meeting in Singapore in June, the world will be looking for concrete progress in stopping North Korea’s nuclear programme.
- The US president looked grim-faced after touching down in Hanoi yesterday
- Trump peers out his diplomatic car as he leaves the airport
- North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un arrives in Vietnam on an armoured train
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368. You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.
- Report: Kim Jong-un Demanded ‘Famous Basketball Players’ to Denuclearize
- Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un Summit Cut Short: ‘No Deal’
- S Korea conveys Trump’s birthday message to Kim Jong Un
- 'Disgusting news': Donald Trump whips up crowd anger as he vilifies media
- Full Text: President Donald Trump’s 2020 State of the Union Speech
- Read the full text of Donald Trump's 2020 State of the Union as he makes his case for re-election, lashing out at 'socialists' and saying: 'The best is yet to come!'
- Security men and metal detectors: Vietnam prepares for Trump-Kim summit
- Nancy Pelosi RIPS UP Donald Trump's speech: State of the Union ends in open warfare between speaker and president as he praises his achievements and attacks 'socialism' to cheers of 'four more years' from Republicans - while Democrats walk out in disgust
- Kim Jong-un flaunts his extensive New Year’s mailing list
- Biggest takeaways from Michael Cohen’s explosive testimony against Donald Trump
- Kim Jong Un Watches ‘Tactical’ Guided Weapon Test - North Korean State Media
- Donald Trump’s State Of The Union Bipartisan Dreams Were Divorced From His Own Reality
- 'It was the courteous thing to do - considering the alternative!' Nancy Pelosi defends tearing up State of the Union calling Donald Trump's speech 'DIRTY' after he started by snubbing her handshake
- Trump touts 'great progress' after North Korea skips repatriation of war dead talks
- AP FACT CHECK: Bracing for Trump's 'relentless optimism'
- Korea summit: leaders vow to 'write new chapter' in peninsula’s history
- AP FACT CHECK: Bracing for Trump’s ‘relentless optimism’
- The 35 Trump Tweets That Defined 2018
- Text of President Trump’s 2020 State of the Union address
- Pete Buttigieg IS ahead in Iowa caucus results as Democrats FINALLY unveil two-thirds of votes - with Bernie Sanders in second place and Joe Biden in distant FOURTH
Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un meet for historic second Vietnam summit as pair prepare to thrash out nuke agreement have 1031 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at February 27, 2019. This is cached page on Konitono.News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.