Mike Thompson Detroit Free Press
Published 3:23 PM EST Jan 8, 2019
President Donald Trump is in a no-win situation as he prepares to address the nation Tuesday evening in the midst pot a government shutdown. Trump promised his base a border wall, and failure to get one will enrage his supporters. So he must stick to his guns and demand the funding for the wall that is at the center of the shutdown. But the longer Trump sticks to his guns, the more he harms his base.
That’s because the red states that constitute the core of Trump’s support are the greatest beneficiaries of federal largess. In a recent column, Robert Reich referenced a study by the Rockefeller Institute for Government that tracked how much states sent to Washington and how much they got back in 2015. He wrote: “Mississippi received $2.13 for every tax dollar that its inhabitants sent to Washington. West Virginia received $2.07, Kentucky: $1.90 and South Carolina $1.71.”
So the longer the shutdown lasts, the greater the financial impact on the red states that make up Trump’s base.
It would take someone with lots of savvy and deft political skills to navigate themselves out of such a quandary. (Insert punchline here).
Follow Mike Thompson on Facebook and Twitter
More from Mike Thompson:
►More: Feds won’t investigate most vehicle defects during government shutdown
►More: Rep. Elissa Slotkin: I’m donating my paycheck during shutdown
►More: Tax refunds could be delayed if government shutdown drags on
- Trump gives speech in California falsely claiming state 'soon' to restrict water to 50 gallons
- Bloomberg unveils billboards to troll Trump ahead of campaign stops
- Trump Says He Might Stop Officials Listening In on His Calls With Foreign Leaders After 'Insubordinate' Vindman's Testimony
- We Now Have a Perfect Symbol of Trump and Barr’s Badly Damaged DOJ
- Hollywood Donors Eye Michael Bloomberg As Someone Who Can Take On Donald Trump – But Can He Stop Bernie Sanders?
- Trump looks to rev up his base at Daytona 500
- Pelosi shreds Trump’s speech. Right there on the podium.
- Trump Wanted Ukraine To Stop China Buying An Aerospace Firm. It Looks Like He Got His Wish.
- Boris Johnson under pressure to cut ties with Huawei after Trump warned US could stop intelligence sharing
- Senate Pushes Shutdown Fight to Final Day
- Talking Stick Helped Senators Resolve U.S. Government Shutdown
- Bill Barr tells Donald Trump 'it's time to STOP the tweeting' saying president is making it 'IMPOSSIBLE to do my job' as he denies being ordered to overrule demand to jail Roger Stone for nine years