As the most publicly scrutinized family in the world, there are always rumors of feuds brewing between members of the British Royal Family. One such rivalry is the one that some perceive to exist between Kate Middleton and Princess Eugenie, though media reports vary on just how real the feud between the two actually is.
Some reports have suggested that Middleton, perhaps along with Meghan Markle, has a contentious relationship with Eugenie and her sister Princess Beatrice. It has been said that it is at least partially because Eugenie and Beatrice are “blood princesses” while Middleton and Markle married into the Royal Family.
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie, Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh attend a garden party at Buckingham Palace on May 24, 2016 in London, England. Photo: John Stillwell – WPA Pool/Getty Images
There are different rules that apply to Eugenie compared to Middleton and Markle. There has also been gossip suggesting Eugenie and Beatrice do not like the amount of attention Middleton has gotten since she became a member of the Royal Family.
Some of this came to a head at a Buckingham Palace garden party in 2016. Beatrice and Eugenie were photographed giving looks to Middleton that were perceived to be cold or disdainful. Sources told the Daily Mail at the time that the two Princesses felt “snubbed” after Middleton did a series of solo engagements with Queen Elizabeth II.
There were also rumors regarding the possible feud when Eugenie got married last year. Some reports indicated Eugenie wanted her wedding to be more extravagant than Markle’s, which was just a few months earlier.
However, other reports have made it seem like the relationships between these particular royals are not as hostile as the media occasionally makes them out to be. A 2018 column in The Guardian theorized that some of it came from Royal Family enthusiasts wanting rivalries between prominent women. The column criticized the media’s focus on Middle, Markle and Eugenie despite not giving similar attention to royal men.
Markle, at the very least, was said to be getting closer to Eugenie last year.
- VIDEO: THIS is how to wear red according to the likes of Kate Middleton and Princess Eugenie
- Kate Middleton Reveals Princess Charlotte's New Favorite Hairstyle
- Prince William says he was ‘a big fan of mum’ as he and Kate Middleton honour Princess Diana in Pakistan
- Kate Middleton reveals Princess Charlotte's favourite hairstyle - see what she said
- Kate Middleton isn't only thrifty royal in town - Prince Harry is pictured shopping at discount store TK Maxx
- After the Royal Wedding, Why Isn't Kate Middleton a Princess?
- Royal slip up: WATCH Kate Middleton laugh as she almost trips in high heels
- Prince William and Kate Middleton arrive at Pakistan's National Monument in a Tuk Tuk: Duke wears traditional sherwani to give speech praising the country's development - while his wife dons a glittering Jenny Packham emerald dress
- See All of Kate Middleton's Pakistan Royal Tour Outfits, From a Mosque to Cricket
- Canada royal tour 2016 recap: Rain-soaked Prince William and Kate Middleton arrive at Great Bear Rainforest
- Ivy Cottage at Kensington Palace: Inside the royal home where Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank live
- The Great Royal Bake Off! Kate Middleton teams up with Mary Berry for Christmas TV special