NASA successfully launched two sounding rockets from Norway just moments apart early Friday, a move that will allow scientists to better study how Earth’s atmosphere escapes into space. The first rocket launched from Norway’s Andoya Space Center at 6:06 a.m. EST, with the second following two minutes later. The rockets were named Visualizing Ion Outflow via Neutral Atom Sensing-2, or VISIONS-2, rockets. They’re supported through NASA Wallops Flight Facility’s Sounding Rocket Program, managed by NASA’s Heliophysics Divison. The rockets were flown into the northern polar cusp, which is from where atmospheric particles can escape. Once there, the rockets map oxygen outflow from the aurora through an imaging technique, according to a news release from NASA. The rockets are working to acquire a lot of detail about a single oxygen outflow event rather than attempting to combine data from many events, a departure from past launches. “Understanding atmospheric escape on Earth has applications all over the Universe — from predicting which far off planets might be habitable, to piecing together how Mars became the desolate, exposed landscape it is today,” the release said. Friday’s launch is the first on nine missions set to happen over the next 14 months. Researchers from around the world,… Read full this story
- ISS Footage of Soyuz Rocket Launch Puts Hollywood Directors to Shame
- How to watch four rocket launches on a banner day for the space industry
- Obama, South Korea vow 'stern' response on planned North Korean rocket launch
- SpaceX postpones Falcon 9 rocket launch for second day in a row
- Watch a Soyuz Rocket Launch from Absurdly Close to the Launch Pad
- Rocket Launches, Cracks The Sky
- NASA photographer talks rocket launches and a camera 'that smells like a campfire'
- Worst may be yet to come, Israel warns Gazans in leaflets as it pummels rocket launch sites
- Russia’s successful rocket launch is a good sign for next month’s astronaut mission
- SpaceX, Blue Origin scrub rocket launches, eye Wednesday to try again
- ROCKET LAUNCHES WITH SOLID EFFORT
- SpaceX rocket launch scrubbed again, this time by tornado threat
Wallops-supported sounding rockets launch in Norway have 348 words, post on www.delmarvanow.com at December 7, 2018. This is cached page on Konitono News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.