J&C readers weigh in on the shutdown and on President Donald Trump’s demand to build a wall along the southern border. LAFAYETTE, Ind. – As a partial federal government shutdown stretched closer to a week in a fight over border security, let’s put it to the J&C reader panel. Question: The sticking point in a federal shutdown that started Dec. 21 is the $5 billion President Donald Trump wants to fund part of a border wall between the United States and Mexico. How long are you willing to let Congress keep the federal government closed to see that the full $5 billion in border wall funding is either put in or kept out of the funding agreement? Carolyn Foust, Lafayette: As long as it takes to get the funding for the wall. The Democrats must understand this is a security issue not a political issue. The American people want the wall to keep our country safe. I, for one, am willing to wait even if the entire government has to shut down. Tim Delworth, West Lafayette: His party controlled Congress for the past two years with no wall funding, and now he blames the Democrats? The shutdown is a publicity… Read full this story
- Democrats push technology as alternative to Trump wall in shutdown impasse
- Trump to target shutdown with immigration offer, still demands wall money
- Trump warns government shutdown could be lengthy
- Trump on ending shutdown: 'We have to build the wall'
- Trump says government shutdown not likely before November election
- US regulator SEC to operate on partial basis due to federal shutdown
- Trading Trump: Wall Street stresses over White House comments
- Trump’s lawyers are reportedly getting him ready to face Mueller
- Trump and Xi likely to get only framework for further talks on trade deal, Commerce Secretary Ross says
- A full refund is due, but Hotels.com won’t help us get our money back
- 'It's crazy!': Zoe Ventoura says she still gets stopped in the street over her death scene from the much-loved drama Packed To The Rafters nine years ago
- Trump eyes emergency powers to pay for border wall, end shutdown
Trump's wall: Is the federal shutdown worth getting – or stopping – money to build it? have 360 words, post on www.jconline.com at December 24, 2018. This is cached page on Konitono News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.