More than 5 million more pounds of raw beef products have been added to a national recall over concerns about possible salmonella contamination, and the number of people sickened has soared to 246 patients in 26 states, federal officials said Tuesday.
The initial recall announced by the U.S. Food Safety and Inspection Service in early October included 6.5 million pounds of raw beef products. The addition Tuesday brings the total recalled amount to 12,093,271 pounds, and authorities say they’re concerned it could be in consumers’ freezers.
The number of those sickened has increased drastically in recent weeks. Initially it was around 60 people in 16 states. Tuesday’s recall marks a more than four-fold increase in the number of cases in two months; nearly 60 people have been hospitalized as a result of the current outbreak.
The affected products were produced and packaged at an Arizona facility owned by JBS Tolleson from July 26 through Sept. 7 and shipped to retailers nationwide under many brand names. Those included in the recall are Cedar River Farms Natural Beef, Comnor Perfect Choice, Gourmet Burger, Grass Run Farms Natural Beef, JBS Generic, Showcase and Showcase/Walmart. See a list of the specific products being recalled here.
The recall notice didn’t provide a list of states where people were sickened. But, according to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention case map updated as of Nov. 15, at least 66 cases of people infected with the outbreak have been reported in California, 13 in Texas, 42 in Arizona and several states, including Connecticut, Illinois and Massachusetts, have each reported one case. No known cases have been reported in New York or New Jersey.
Anyone with questions about the recall can contact JBS’ consumer hotline at 1-800-727-2333.
Salmonella can cause diarrhea, abdominal cramps and fever within three days of eating the contaminated product, and the illness can last up to seven days. While most people recover, people with weakened immune systems are more likely to need to be hospitalized.
- Why it’s hard to stop Amazon deforestation, starting with beef industry
- Covid cases have risen almost EIGHT-FOLD in just a fortnight in parts of Sussex that escaped Tier 4 (so how quickly is outbreak is growing in YOUR area - our tool will tell you)
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS DECEMBER 26
- VIETNAM NEWS DECEMBER 26
- How COVID-19 Is Impacting People of Color in Every State
- Gang Stalking: A Case of Mass Hysteria?
- Two new cases of Covid-19 variant detected in UK, as English Channel travel resumes
- Furious Theresa May leads Tory assault on lockdown plan accusing Boris of using the 'wrong' projection of 4,000 deaths a day to shore up his case - as PM scuttles out of House after begging mutinous MPs to back him saying the NHS could 'collapse' otherwise
- Coronavirus: NCDC records ports 712 new infections
- Prisoners ‘dumped’ at quarantine facility: Nearly 300 Taloja jail inmates, packed into a school in Kharghar
- They Marched in America’s First Pride Demonstrations in 1970. They’re Still Out, Loud, and Proud.
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES DECEMBER 14
- FMIA Week 15: How Buffalo Built Its Way Back To The Top Of The AFC East
- China officially blacklists 'evil' Australia's $67billion coal industry with new fears our iron ore is next - as Beijing publishes another offensive cartoon and accuses Scott Morrison of 'megaphone diplomacy'
- Nancy Pelosi says she wishes $600 stimulus checks were bigger but tells critics they are 'significant' as Mitch McConnell promises vote tonight on $900 billion package - which Trump will sign
- Calls for a boycott over list of 41 'Chinese-owned' vineyards in Australia as vino lovers react to Beijing's crushing tariff on Aussie wine - but some say the move could do more harm than good
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES DECEMBER 15
- Department of Health WITHDRAWS official UK Coronavirus daily death toll of 114 after it emerges nobody in England is ever counted as cured
- 'Why ARE you still Health Secretary?': Piers Morgan savages Matt Hancock for Britain's 50,000 Covid fatalities, testing shambles and deaths of 'hundreds of care workers' as minister FINALLY appears on GMB after Dominic Cummings'-led six-month boycott
- VIETNAM NEWS DECEMBER 23 (Updated hourly)
Feds Expand Beef Recall as Salmonella Outbreak Broadens to 246 Cases in 26 States have 669 words, post on www.nbcconnecticut.com at December 4, 2018. This is cached page on Konitono.News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.