Rory McIlroy IS expected to play on the European Tour next year after crisis talks with boss Keith Pelley.
The four-time Major winner revealed last month in Dubai that he was considering giving up his membership in 2019 to concentrate on playing on the US-based PGA Tour.
“Everyone has to look out for themselves,” he said. “And next year, I’m looking out for me.”
The move would have meant McIlroy could never have become Ryder Cup captain — and would have been a big blow to the European Tour.
But European Tour chief executive Pelley flew to Belfast last week to win over the world No.8.
And the Ulsterman, who will again seek to complete his career Grand Slam at the Masters in April, is now ready to commit to at least two more events next year to retain his card.
McIlroy had said he will only definitely play in the Aberdeen Standard Investments Scottish Open — the warm-up event the week before The Open – and the Omega European Masters.
The Ryder Cup star had planned not to play in Europe at all until July but he could now play in Dubai in January and add the Dubai Duty Free Irish Open or BMW PGA Championship to his schedule.
McIlroy’s schedule is yet to be confirmed, but he is thinking about starting his season for the first time at the Sentry Tournament of Champions in Hawaii at the beginning of next month.
The revamped golf calendar for 2019 will see the US PGA brought forward from August to May and the FedEx Cup finished before the end of August.
- Rory McIlroy calls for tougher European Tour courses
- I'm glad I'm here: Rory McIlroy in contention on PGA Tour after promising opening round in Hawaii
- Rory McIlroy draws praise from PGA Tour veterans like Tiger Woods and Jim Furyk for solid play
- Rory McIlroy’s stateside focus throws Lahinch pledge up in air
- Rory McIlroy can hit back from Masters meltdown with Hollow victory
- Rory McIlroy may never be Ryder Cup captain after deciding to mostly play in US
- European Tour blow as Rory McIlroy turns focus to US
- Rory McIlroy tops Brooks Koepka for PGA Tour player of the year
- On this Day, November 22 2015: Rory McIlroy took victory in the DP World Tour Championship
- Rory McIlroy blows a good start to stink up BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth
- Rory McIlroy fails to capitalise at Farmers Insurance Open as red-hot Rahm leads way