Charlene Li is the author of several books, and works with business leaders around digital, social and emerging technologies in her role as principal analyst at Altimeter, a Prophet company. The opinions expressed in this commentary are her own. In the wake of the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting last month, and more recently the Thousand Oaks, California shooting, the nation is deeply shaken and looking for someone or something to blame. Understandably, many people are increasingly calling on social media platforms to clamp down even more on hate speech. The alleged Pittsburgh synagogue shooter used social media site Gab, the alt-right answer to Twitter, to spew hate toward Jews, while the alleged California shooter is believed to have posted on Facebook, derisively chiding those who offer “hopes and prayers” after mass shootings. The blowback was so furious after the synagogue shooting that Gab had to briefly go offline because no web host would work with the site. And while I understand the reaction, the solution to curbing the monsters that technology has unleashed is not censorship by social media platforms; it is smarter technology. JUST WATCHED Time to rethink how mass shootings are covered? Replay More Videos … MUST WATCH Time… Read full this story
- POLITICO Playbook: Tragedy overnight with two mass shootings
- The Latest: Trumps visit shooting survivors in El Paso
- The Most Measured Person in Tech Is Running the Most Chaotic Place on the Internet
- The Fusion Reactor Next Door
- Stickin’ to His Guns?
- Terrorism incidents from ISIS, others have decreased since 2014
- Trump’s Apostle
- The True Cost of Gun Violence in America
- Trump met by protesters as he visits Dayton, El Paso
- Trump greeted by ‘Do something’ rally cry in Dayton
- The Latest: Protesters greet Trump arrival in El Paso
- The Latest: Biden says Trump is 'fueling a literal carnage'
To head off mass shootings, we need better technology — not less have 304 words, post on edition.cnn.com at November 21, 2018. This is cached page on Konitono News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.