SOUTH BEND, Ind. – For Tom Rees, the template was obvious. The hard part was getting Ian Book to share his vision and recognize his own potential. That’s why Rees, Notre Dame’s former starting quarterback (2010-13) and current quarterbacks coach, pulled the young backup aside during August training camp and sat him down for a heart to heart. “I challenged him: ‘Hey, what’s holding you back?’ “ Rees said. “Before the season, I told him, ‘Tell me why you can’t be Drew Brees? You don’t miss. You’re athletic. Why can’t you be Drew Brees?’ “ Book, a redshirt sophomore from El Dorado Hills, Calif., about 30 minutes east of Sacramento, has miles to go to match the accomplishments of Brees, record-breaking passer and Super Bowl-winning leader of the New Orleans Saints. More: 5 Notre Dame football recruits who could make an instant impact More: Notre Dame brings the fight into living rooms across the land on Signing Day However, guiding the Fighting Irish to a 12-0 mark and their first spot in the College Football Playoff isn’t a bad opening chapter. Book, who replaced Brandon Wimbush as the starter in Week 4, hasn’t needed much editing as he gets set to face… Read full this story
- New Englanders in Paris describe scene of Notre Dame fire
- Constable: A fall at Notre Dame cut his life short, but Declan's legacy thrives
- Notre Dame inspired writers, filmmakers, painters and singers
- Mayor Buttigieg backs Notre Dame walkout of Pence speech
- In Paris, Worn-Out Notre-Dame Needs a Makeover, and Hopes You Can Help
- Canada's Notre Dame Bells Ring in Show of Support for Paris: 'They Never Ring Midday'
- "Quick intervention" and a human chain saved holy relics from Notre Dame Cathedral fire
- Notre Dame fire shows the power of monuments to the FrenchYou may also be interested in...
- Notre Dame's magic, beauty, significance: Minnesotans reflect
- Hopkinton resident shares experience of seeing Notre Dame tragedy up close
- What was saved – and what was lost – in the Notre Dame Cathedral fire
- Why Can't We All Grieve for Notre Dame?
The intervention that inspired Notre Dame's Ian Book: 'Tell me why you can't be Drew Brees?' have 349 words, post on www.usatoday.com at October 29, 2018. This is cached page on Konitono News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.