Paul Begala, a Democratic strategist and CNN political commentator, was a political consultant for Bill Clinton’s presidential campaign in 1992 and was counselor to Clinton in the White House. He was a consultant to Priorities USA Action, which was a pro-Obama super PAC before it was a pro-Hillary Clinton super PAC. The opinions expressed in this commentary are his. View more opinion articles on CNN. (CNN)Once in a while, a politician becomes so powerful and yet so destructive that he or she does real damage to the branch of government in which she or he serves. Obviously, Richard Nixon damaged the presidency, Newt Gingrich turned the House of Representatives into a mixed martial arts arena, and Roger Taney forever stained the Supreme Court with the Dred Scott decision. But it takes someone special, someone rare, someone spectacularly Machiavellian and malevolent, to screw up all three branches of government. Ladies and gentlemen: Mitch McConnell. The soft-spoken Kentuckian has, in just a few short years, done lasting damage to the presidency, the Senate and the Supreme Court: the hat trick of democracy destruction. To wit: JUST WATCHED McConnell flips, changes his rule on Supreme Court confirmations Replay More Videos … MUST WATCH… Read full this story
- Mitch McConnell: ‘Oh, We’d Fill’ Potential Supreme Court Vacancy in 2020
- Jim Carrey Says What Osama Bin Laden Did Was Terrible but 'He Doesn't Hold a Candle to Mitch McConnell'
- Mitch McConnell unveils $1,200 checks for every American earning under $75,000-a-year as part of Republicans' $1 trillion coronavirus bailout plan
- Mitch McConnell 'Wasted' Time on Coronavirus Bill by Sending Senate Home, Says Ohio Senator: 'We Should Be Working on This'
- Mitch McConnell: Democrats ‘Embarrassed’ that Pelosi, Schumer Blocked Coronavirus Relief Bill
- Mitch McConnell: Minimal Differences Between This Relief Package, Original Democrats Blocked
- Pastor Jeffress Prays for President Trump, Nancy Pelosi, Mitch McConnell to Lead Nation past Coronavirus
- Mitch McConnell Criticized for Calling Coronavirus Bill 'Urgent' Priority After Leaving D.C. for the Weekend
- Nancy Pelosi Says Mitch McConnell's Third Coronavirus Response Package Bill Is a 'Non-Starter,' 'Not at All Pro-Worker'
- White House wants $1 trillion bailout with $1,200 checks for all passed by MONDAY as Mitch McConnell starts talks on his plan with Democrats who are already warning it does not do enough for workers
- Watch Jon Stewart challenge Mitch McConnell to pass stalled 9/11 bill on Colbert’s show
- ‘Are You Kidding Me?’: Mitch McConnell SHREDS Democrats In Fiery Senate Floor Speech
Mitch McConnell has done grave damage to all three branches of government have 406 words, post on edition.cnn.com at October 8, 2018. This is cached page on Konitono News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.