Jets running back Bilal Powell has been placed on season-ending IR after suffering a neck injury that will require surgery, and head coach Todd Bowles says there’s a chance it could be career-ending as well. It happened on a play that didn’t look all that bad at the time, which almost makes it scarier.
Powell was injured on a tackle from Vikings LB Anthony Barr in the second quarter of Sunday’s loss, and you’d have been hard-pressed to tell that anything was wrong. Powell sat up almost immediately after the hit, and walked to the sideline. (It’s the second video here.)
Bowles didn’t give much detail on the nature of Powell’s injury, other than that it’s a disc injury and will require surgery. “It’s possible” that it could mean the end of Powell’s career, Bowles said, though that won’t be known until after the surgery. Bowles revealed that Powell had a recurring injury, but “this time it just happened to be bad.”
Powell, who turns 30 on Saturday, is 10th on the all-time Jets rushing list. He has 3,446 yards and 15 rushing TDs in eight seasons, all with the Jets. He’s a free agent after this season, so even if he’s medically able to play football again, he’s going to need to convince some team of that.
In his absence, the Jets backfield will consist of Isaiah Crowell and rookie Trenton Cannon.
- Another former Jets players reportedly files injury grievance against team
- Another former Jets player reportedly files injury grievance against team
- Exclusive interview: Jack Wilshere opens up about his injury-plagued career - 'I've paid the price for being that type of player'
- US marines took selfies and read books while flying jets, says report on fatal mid-air collision
- German police say CCTV contradicts AfD version of how their chairman was ‘nearly beaten to death’ and say he suffered injuries from a fall after one man struck him
- Amber Heard reveals she was warned coming out as bisexual would end career
- European Paper Talk: N'Golo Kante admits he could end career at Chelsea
- Floyd Mayweather 'ends career' undefeated after one-sided victory over Andre Berto
- Australian porn star Kiki Vidis, 30, lifts the lid on the industry and says her family support her career - so much she's posed naked with her mum
- Model Kendall Jenner says Kardashian name once hindered career, reveals how she'd 'distinguish herself'
- 'I'm haunted by the cries of my children': Mother who found her four kids hanged says her life has 'ended' as her husband is jailed for life for killing them after she served him divorce papers
- Atiku Abubakar says his programmes will end dark era of Buhari