US President Donald Trump will receive his Chilean counterpart, Sebastian Pinera, late this month for talks on “efforts to restore democracy in Venezuela,” the White House said Friday.
The Chilean president had planned to visit the United States for the annual United Nations General Assembly meeting next week.
His visit on September 28 to the White House comes with regional concerns growing about an exodus of Venezuelans fleeing their country’s economic meltdown.
Trump has accused Venezuela’s leftist President Nicolas Maduro of leading a “dictatorship” and a report in The New York Times earlier this month said US officials had met with Venezuelan military officers seeking support for a coup.
Pinera will be received by Trump for what the White House described as a “working visit.”
Trump and Pinera “will build upon the strong partnership between their nations in pursuit of a more prosperous, secure, and democratic Western Hemisphere,” the White House statement said.
“The leaders expect to discuss a shared commitment to pro-growth policies, combating corrupt and illicit networks, strategic partnerships in energy and cyber security, and efforts to restore democracy in Venezuela,” it said.
- Kremlin: Putin-Trump meeting possible
- North Korea's Kim seeks second meeting with President Trump
- President Donald Trump meets FIFA's Gianni Infantino, receives red card at White House
- Automakers Play Nice with Trump, Silently Hope Tariff Talk was Bluster
- Putin says Trump meeting useful, deplores U.S. sanctions
- 'She has become a leader of her time': Leonardo DiCaprio meets Greta Thunberg and says they 'have made a commitment to support one another'
- Giants LB Mark Herzlich Wants President Trump to Meet with Players on Anthem Protests
- Giants LB Mark Herzlich Wants President Trump to Meet with Players About Anthem Protests
- President Trump canceling visit by Eagles isn’t simple, but ultimate solution can be
- Photo shows moment John Kelly turned off the lights as Trump backed down from his Helsinki comments
- Impeachment testimony: Vindman was told not to discuss Trump-Zelensky call
- Judge Dismisses Stormy Daniels’ Defamation Lawsuit Against Trump
- Brandon Marshall, Doug Baldwin react strongly to President Trump's comments on NFL anthem stance
- Donald Trump on Tiger Woods: 'Great Class in the Way He Answered the Question'
- UFC to Celebrate Trump During 25th Anniversary Documentary
- The Latest: Trump, Putin meeting privately in Helsinki
- High-profile Republican in Washington has Kenny Stills’ back (no, not Trump)
- The Sad Failure Of Donald Trump's Desperate Attempt At A Baseball League
- Colombia fans filled Hard Rock for friendly vs. Venezuela. The team rallied for a win
- Donald Trump renews his attack on Chicago's police superintendent after cop boycotted president's visit to the city and said his claims about being briefed by angry rank-and-file officers were untrue
Trump to meet Chile's president for talks on Venezuela have 427 words, post on en.rfi.fr at September 21, 2018. This is cached page on Konitono.News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.