“Nothing’s gone forever,” Emily Blunt sings in the new trailer for “Mary Poppins Returns.” Indeed, the sequel seems poised to capture the supercalifragilisticexpialidocious magic of the original, as it features brightly colored old-fashioned animation mixed with upbeat live-action musical numbers.
Ms. Blunt steps into Julie Andrews’s timeless role as the titular nanny who drops into the lives of the children of the now-grown Michael and Jane Banks (Ben Whishaw and Emily Mortimer), via a kite, naturally. Lin-Manuel Miranda plays Jack, a lamplighter character reminiscent of Dick Van Dyke’s chimney sweep, Bert, but based on the footage shown so far, the “Hamilton” mastermind’s British accent seems slightly more believable.
Mr. Van Dyke can also be seen, defying his age in a dance number and playing a different role as the son of a banker. Other notable faces glimpsed in the trailer include Angela Lansbury, a veteran of the Disney musicals “Bedknobs and Broomsticks” and “Beauty and the Beast”; and Meryl Streep, who plays Mary Poppins’s quirky cousin, Topsy.
Directed by Rob Marshall, who helmed the Oscar-winning musical “Chicago,” “Mary Poppins Returns” lands in theaters on December 19th.
- Avengers: Infinity War Directors Begin Teasing New Trailer
- Dishonored 2 Live-Action Trailer Brings Corvo and Emily To Life
- ‘Donkey Kong Country Returns’ Looks Challenging in New Trailer
- The New ‘Donkey Kong Country Returns’ Trailer Is Bananas!
- Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind Trailer Shows a Return to Vvardenfell
- New Trailer for ‘Alice: Madness Returns’ Reveals Release Date
- ‘Street Fighter V’ Adds M. Bison To The Roster In New Trailer
- Five Nights at Freddy’s Spin-Off Gets Freaky New Trailer
- Black Ops 3 Zombies Map ‘The Giant’ Gets a New Trailer
- Just Cause 3 Gets An Explosive New Trailer At Gamescom 2015
- New Madden NFL 17 Trailer Hails the Return of The Gunslinger Brett Favre
- ‘Call of Duty: Ghosts’ Customization Packs Available Today, New Trailer Released