“Nothing’s gone forever,” Emily Blunt sings in the new trailer for “Mary Poppins Returns.” Indeed, the sequel seems poised to capture the supercalifragilisticexpialidocious magic of the original, as it features brightly colored old-fashioned animation mixed with upbeat live-action musical numbers. Ms. Blunt steps into Julie Andrews’s timeless role as the titular nanny who drops into the lives of the children of the now-grown Michael and Jane Banks (Ben Whishaw and Emily Mortimer), via a kite, naturally. Lin-Manuel Miranda plays Jack, a lamplighter character reminiscent of Dick Van Dyke’s chimney sweep, Bert, but based on the footage shown so far, the “Hamilton” mastermind’s British accent seems slightly more believable. Mr. Van Dyke can also be seen, defying his age in a dance number and playing a different role as the son of a banker. Other notable faces glimpsed in the trailer include Angela Lansbury, a veteran of the Disney musicals “Bedknobs and Broomsticks” and “Beauty and the Beast”; and Meryl Streep, who plays Mary Poppins’s quirky cousin, Topsy. Directed by Rob Marshall, who helmed the Oscar-winning musical “Chicago,” “Mary Poppins Returns” lands in theaters on December 19th.
- 'Mary Poppins' return brings world some magic, cast say
- Mary Poppins Returns to Form
- How Emily Blunt made singing nanny her own in Mary Poppins Returns
- 'Mary Poppins Returns' glides in with lighthearted, whimsical adventures
- Movie review: Mary Poppins Returns
- Mary Poppins Returns brings magic to the world in uncertain times
- Broadway star Lin-Manuel Miranda on magic in Mary Poppins Returns
- All-star Mary Poppins sequel flies into view
- The ‘millennial’ Mary Poppins
- Underneath the new Mary Poppins sky
- Oscars snub Bradley Cooper as director; Emily Blunt as Mary Poppins
- Emily Blunt is a vision in floral frock alongside Dwayne Johnson as they talk up Jungle Cruise during star-studded Disney's D23 Expo
New Trailer: ‘Mary Poppins Returns,’ With Emily Blunt have 303 words, post on www.nytimes.com at September 17, 2018. This is cached page on Konitono News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.