“Nothing’s gone forever,” Emily Blunt sings in the new trailer for “Mary Poppins Returns.” Indeed, the sequel seems poised to capture the supercalifragilisticexpialidocious magic of the original, as it features brightly colored old-fashioned animation mixed with upbeat live-action musical numbers.
Ms. Blunt steps into Julie Andrews’s timeless role as the titular nanny who drops into the lives of the children of the now-grown Michael and Jane Banks (Ben Whishaw and Emily Mortimer), via a kite, naturally. Lin-Manuel Miranda plays Jack, a lamplighter character reminiscent of Dick Van Dyke’s chimney sweep, Bert, but based on the footage shown so far, the “Hamilton” mastermind’s British accent seems slightly more believable.
Mr. Van Dyke can also be seen, defying his age in a dance number and playing a different role as the son of a banker. Other notable faces glimpsed in the trailer include Angela Lansbury, a veteran of the Disney musicals “Bedknobs and Broomsticks” and “Beauty and the Beast”; and Meryl Streep, who plays Mary Poppins’s quirky cousin, Topsy.
Directed by Rob Marshall, who helmed the Oscar-winning musical “Chicago,” “Mary Poppins Returns” lands in theaters on December 19th.
- Broadway Mary Poppins Tickets - The Magical Nanny Comes To Broadway
- Buying Mary Poppins Tickets
- Types of Trailers & Determining the Proper Size of Your New Trailer
- What Would Mary Poppins do
- Management - Mary Poppins Style!
- New Century Physics - A Return To The Prophets?
- Keep An Eye On Mary Poppins With A Nanny Cam
- Two Years Later, New Orleans Residents Still Waiting for Help
- Khloe Kardashian is presented with a new pink diamond ring from ex Tristan Thompson in KUWTK trailer
- A Guide To New York City Theater Tickets
- All I Got From New York Fashion Week Was a Funny Story About Kelly Cutrone
- Which is Better - Aluminum or Steel Horse Trailers?