ST. LOUIS — Not everyone is born for greatness, but it’s safe to say Sean McCarty was born to be great. The 45-year-old Coralville golf professional’s grassroots relationship with the game runs as deep as the roots of the rough on the Cedars Edge Golf Course in West Branch. He spent much of his childhood living in what served as the clubhouse of the former Greenview Golf Course, which his late parents, Mike and Mary, ran for a quarter-century. McCarty would walk 36 holes a day at age 6 and was entering regional tournaments a year later. He upped the dosage to 54 holes by the time he was 10 and was taking care of his parents’ course as the superintendent by age 15. His grown-up accolades are impressive — three high school state titles, a hall-of-fame career at the University of Iowa and a Big Ten Conference crown, eight Iowa PGA player of the year awards and four Iowa Open victories spanning three parts of decades — almost as impressive as his endearing humility. “It’s just my kind of personality,” McCarty said. “I’m making fun of myself, I never brag. I don’t consider myself all that good, really. I just… Read full this story
- Sam Burns ready for Louisiana PGA Tour debut
- Toledo ready for Rogers state championship parade
- Vietnamese golfer to attend int’l Junior Golf Championships
- Woods ready to return to work at Quail Hollow
- Wells Fargo Championship has Tigers Woods
- Inside golfer Ian Poulter’s priceless Orlando garage with SEVEN custom Ferraris including £1MILLION LaFerrari
- Wells Fargo Championship preview
- Are you Championship Ready?
- 43 golfers vie for 3 spots in U.S. Open local qualifier at UNM Championship Golf Club
- Veteran golfer ready for more after notching 1st win in 8 years
- Las Vegas, Nevada Authors Cary Davis and Jon Skagg’s Announce 50,000 Reader Milestone for The Bogey Golfer Handbook
- Golfer Kelly Kraft Misses Cut After Tee Shot Nails Bird Mid-Flight
'The Natural:' Former Hawkeye golfer Sean McCarty ready for brush with glory at PGA Championship have 321 words, post on www.desmoinesregister.com at August 7, 2018. This is cached page on Konitono News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.