On Friday, First Lady Melania Trump’s personal immigration attorney harshly criticized US President Donald Trump’s antagonism toward ‘chain migration,’ a process in which US citizens or permanent residents can sponsor family members to enter the US, calling the president’s demonization of the popular program “unconscionable.”
Wildes, a high-profile immigration attorney, represented Melania’s parents, who became naturalized US citizens on Thursday.
The first lady’s parents, Viktor and Amalija Knavs, have been living in the US as permanent residents after leaving their homeland of Slovenia.
Melania Trump sponsored her parents so that they could receive a permanent resident ‘green card’ prior to becoming US citizens.
“Calling this ‘chain migration’ is really outside of the ethos of what was intended,” Wildes recently said on MSNBC.
“This whole notion of chain migration is actually a beautiful bedrock of immigration law and policy called family reunification,” Wildes added.
“Imagine this: People will work harder and love more and do more for America knowing that their loved ones, their immediate relatives, their parents, their children [are here]. Chain migration, no, [it’s called] family reunification.”
“You bring one person in, and you end up with 32 people,” Trump said in one of the clips, referring repeatedly to the biased label.
“We have to end ‘chain migration,'” the president declared.
According to Wildes, it’s “unconscionable to scare people into believing that,” adding that Melania asked for the lawyer’s help with the “intentions of bringing her family here — like everybody else would.”
- Biden Thinks Trump Immigration Policy ‘One Of The Darkest Moments’ In US History
- Half of US Voters Consider Trump Immigration Policies Too Tough - Exit Polls
- Trump’s Ideas Man For Hard-Line Immigration Policy
- Guatemala elects hardline president who opposes Trump immigration deal
- Cesar Millan Says Trump Needs a Dog to Soften His Immigration Policy and Image
- State Department Parody Video Mocks Trump Administration's 'Hypocrisy' on Remain In Mexico Policy
- Fiona Hill, British-born intelligence analyst, testifies at Donald Trump impeachment inquiry
- This may have been Trump’s most successful year yet for restricting immigration
- ‘Radically Mainstream’: Why the Alt-Right Is Celebrating Trump’s Win
- Tallying the Damage of Trump’s Presidency in 2017
- From Trump to Fox News to 8chan: the web of white supremacist rhetoric is wide
- Trump Tells ‘Progressive Congresswomen’ to Go Back Where They ‘Came From’
- After Mueller, the need for oversight of Trump is as urgent as ever
- Castro Brings Fire and Facts, Pummels Beto on Immigration
- Fact check: Trump's wild letter to Pelosi is filled with false and misleading claims
- US mulls increasing merit-based immigration to 57%
- Thousands of Liberians could gain pathway to U.S. citizenship under bill Trump is expected to sign
- Where December Democratic debate candidates stand on immigration
- Donald Trump Forcefully Dismisses Allegations by Multiple Women
- Deportations Under Trump Still Lag Far Behind Those Carried Out by the Obama Administration
FLOTUS Folks Become US Citizens as Their Lawyer Attacks Trump Immigration Policy have 500 words, post on sputniknews.com at August 12, 2018. This is cached page on Konitono.News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.