Facebook has bought a huge plot of new offices in Kings Cross, joining Silicon neighbours like Google and Youtube nearby in one of the area’s largest ever commercial deals.
Comprising 611,000 square feet (sq ft) and 6,000 workstations, the three buildings mark a significant step in the commercial development of Kings Cross, with the new deal accounting for roughly 15 per cent of the area’s total office space.
Hailed by mayor of London Sadiq Khan as “further evidence that London is open for business and a world leading destination for major tech companies”, the three new offices will include roof gardens, a threatre and retail space.
Tech giants such as Google and Youtube have already moved into large nearby offices, while Universal Music is set to to move into a new headquarters at Four Pancras Square later in September this year.
The news also comes only seven months after Facebook opened a 247,000 sq ft site in Rathbone Place in Fitzrovia, creating 800 new jobs.
Read more: Youtube dedicates $25m to fighting fake news
The new offices, which have not yet been built and are set to open in 2021, will see Facebook double its current UK floorspace.
Steve Hatch, Facebook’s Managing Director for Northern Europe said: “The UK is one of the best places in the world to be a technology company and we’re investing here for the long term.”
Hatch added: “Many of Facebook’s most significant global products from Workplace to social VR applications for Oculus were developed right here in London, in what is now our biggest engineering base outside the US.”
Newly-released CGI images show the Facebook plans for the new offices, both on 11 and 21 Canal Reach, as well as P2 on Lewis Cubitt Square.
Will Colthorpe, partner at Kings Cross Central Limited Partnership, said: “We are thrilled that Facebook will be coming to King’s Cross and has chosen to expand its business here. This deal cements King’s Cross’ reputation as one of the UK’s leading tech destinations.”
- Facebook buys IBM patents
- Facebook buys AOL patents from Microsoft for 550 million dollars
- Facebook opens engineering office in London
- Chinese man buys huge land plots in Binh Thuan
- Facebook buys mobile discovery startup Glancee
- Cashew factories seek free govÃ¢â¬â¢t loans to buy huge farm stocks
- Facebook buys startup to link with more mobile phones
- Facebook chief technical officer leaving for startup
- METRO Group Buying Opens Office in Viet Nam
- 20 held for attacking officers over Vietnam land eviction
- Five Hanoi officers detained in land compensation scam
- PayPal unveils micropayments, Facebook integration