Hull City fans could have to think up a new chant for Jackson Irvine if the midfielder scores at the World Cup.
‘Long hair never looked so good’, so the song goes for the fans’ favourite who has donned a pony tail for the last four years, but should he agree to a bet it could be a thing of the past.
The midfielder is currently preparing to represent Australia in his first ever World Cup finals this summer, with the Socceroos’ campaign getting underway on Saturday morning when they take on France in Kazan.
But, if centre-back Trent Sainsbury gets his way there could be a lot less of Jackson Irvine returning to East Yorkshire for the new Championship season next month, should he have a successful tournament.
“It came out last night actually, Trent tried to convince me that if I score, he gets to shave my head after the game,” Irvine said.
“I haven’t quite agreed to that bet yet, it’s become part of my trademark and I’ve become quite emotionally attached to it, so I can’t see it going anywhere any time soon.”
The Socceroos are outsiders to progress from a tough group which also features Peru and Denmark, with France the understandable favourites to win Group C.
However, while Australia might be the underdogs, Irvine is confident they can upset the odds in Russia and make dismissive pundits eat their words.
“We saw it last year at the Confederations Cup after the Brazil game, we showed no fear against these top nations and we came out fighting against the best teams,” he added. “We’re going to have to show that again on Saturday.
“We’re focused on ourselves and as I said, we’re planning to play in a way where it’s not going to matter the way the opposition play and the way they approach it because we’re going to have our structures and it’s more important about what we do here.”
Get the Hull Live app
- Vietnam continue losing streak after FIFA World Cup qualifier defeat against Oman
- Despite comeback, Viet Nam lose to China in World Cup qualifier
- Despite comeback, Vietnam lose to China in World Cup qualifier
- World Cup celebrations may have led to Mexico City 'artificial earthquake,' agency says
- World Cup 2018 Live Stream: How to watch Germany Vs. Mexico
- Germany vs. Romania odds, picks, predictions: FIFA World Cup European Qualifier best bets for Friday, Oct. 8
- Gareth Southgate: Only winning the 2022 World Cup will heal England wounds
- ICC T20 WC 2021: Josh Inglis targets World Cup glory after 'pure elation' at Australia call-up
- Virat Kohli Might Open The Innings With Rohit Sharma In T20 World Cup, Says Saba Karim | Cricket News
- ICC T20 World Cup 2021: History, winners list, big moments from 2007 to 2016
- England vs. Andorra odds, picks, predictions: FIFA World Cup European Qualifier best bets for Saturday, Oct. 9
- IPL 2021: Suryakumar Yadav Focuses Thoughts on T20 World Cup After Mumbai Indians Elimination
- Jadon Sancho justifies Gareth Southgate's belief but work remains to guarantee World Cup place
- USMNT World Cup qualifying takeaways: After Ricardo Pepi stars against Jamaica, here's what to know vs. Panama
- Denmark, England cruise in World Cup qualifying wins
- Vietnam beaten 1-3 by Oman in World Cup qualifiers
- U.S. Takes Apart Thailand and the Record Book at the Women’s World Cup
- T20 World Cup: Virat Kohli Is "Obsessive", He Wants "To Be The Best", Says Namibia All-Rounder David Wiese | Cricket News
- Money And Muscle: India Ahead In Asia As ICC World Cup 2019 Looms | Cricket News
- Andorra vs England – Claim £20 RISK FREE bet on World Cup qualifier, plus 53/1 Paddy Power prediction special
Irvine challenged to lose his trademark look if he scores at the World Cup have 632 words, post on www.hulldailymail.co.uk at June 13, 2018. This is cached page on Konitono.News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.