A University of Alabama professor will soon direct an episode of the popular drama series “Queen Sugar.”
Rachel Raimist, a professor of journalism and creative media at UA, will shoot the episode in New Orleans this month.
Created by “Selma” and “A Wrinkle in Time” director Ava DuVernay, the series follows the life of three siblings, who move to Louisiana to claim an inheritance from their recently departed father, an 800-acre sugarcane farm in Louisiana.
Oprah Winfrey serves as executive producer on the show, which airs on her OWN network.
Directing the episode will place Raimist in the Directors Guild of America. The series has featured all women directors over its three seasons.
“I have made independent films and documentaries, but for a long time I thought that breaking in to television might not be possible,” Raimist said, according to a UA release. “DuVernay has been intentional about giving opportunities to first-time television directors from legendary independent film directors like Julie Dash, Cheryl Dunye and Patricia Cardoso to new directors with recent festival wins and folks like me who don’t fit into either of these categories.”
Raimist will direct episode 311, called “Your Passages Have Been Paid.”
“Queen Sugar” won two NAACP Image Awards in 2017, including outstanding drama series and outstanding writing in a dramatic series.
Watch the trailer for season three below:
- Happy 60th birthday to Madonna, the queen of reinvention: how she continues to pave the way for women everywhere
- Olivia Colman recreates Queen's visit to Aberfan for The Crown
- Courting more controversy: How Harry and Meghan could face 'the privacy trial of the century'
- Netflix show The Crown is filming in Wales
- The Apprentice’s Claude Littner interview: ‘I’d be fired immediately’
- Tuesday's best TV: The Bank That Almost Broke Britain
- Beyoncé says she couldn't stop crying at opening of Tyler Perry's new studios
- Alison Canavan's 100 simple ways to manage stress
- You really can burn off calories just by THINKING – it adds up to a McDonald’s burger a day
- Why St Kitts and Nevis makes for a classic luxury break in the Caribbean
- Fever-Tree’s audacious success has taken the drinks industry by storm, but where do they go from here?
- The Crown is filming in Wales today
- Med diet 'may help prevent depression'
- Strangers star John Simm: I ran away but now I’m back
- Hot 100: All the best movies, books and food to kick the September blues
- This is what happens to you when you try and hold in a fart
- The reason why you should not hold in your farts
- Reporter earns his stripes as trainee beekeeper
- Falkirk’s 10 of the best — October 4
- EastEnders fans howling at Sharon Mitchell’s new hairdo and compare it to Dog the Bounty Hunter and Draco Malfoy
Alabama professor to direct episode of Oprah-produced show 'Queen Sugar' have 445 words, post on www.al.com at June 20, 2018. This is cached page on Konitono.News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.