A University of Alabama professor will soon direct an episode of the popular drama series “Queen Sugar.”
Rachel Raimist, a professor of journalism and creative media at UA, will shoot the episode in New Orleans this month.
Created by “Selma” and “A Wrinkle in Time” director Ava DuVernay, the series follows the life of three siblings, who move to Louisiana to claim an inheritance from their recently departed father, an 800-acre sugarcane farm in Louisiana.
Oprah Winfrey serves as executive producer on the show, which airs on her OWN network.
Directing the episode will place Raimist in the Directors Guild of America. The series has featured all women directors over its three seasons.
“I have made independent films and documentaries, but for a long time I thought that breaking in to television might not be possible,” Raimist said, according to a UA release. “DuVernay has been intentional about giving opportunities to first-time television directors from legendary independent film directors like Julie Dash, Cheryl Dunye and Patricia Cardoso to new directors with recent festival wins and folks like me who don’t fit into either of these categories.”
Raimist will direct episode 311, called “Your Passages Have Been Paid.”
“Queen Sugar” won two NAACP Image Awards in 2017, including outstanding drama series and outstanding writing in a dramatic series.
Watch the trailer for season three below:
- Alabama’s Wallace wins Harper Lee Award
- Latest police shooting highlights Alabama’s lack of guidelines for body cams
- Literacy Tests Are Gone, But Voter Suppression Isn't: 'Shut Out,' Episode 1
- Spotlight on Business: Sugar cane and rum in Hawaii — Back to the future
- Why Is America OK With Banning Felons From The Voting Booth? 'Shut Out,' Episode 2
- Five-0 Redux: 200th episode of ‘Hawaii Five-0’ solidifies legendary status
- Uncertain Terms true crime podcast: rehabilitation, Miller v. Alabama
- How sugar beets drew Latinos to Lansing
- Alabama’s iconic civil rights town now the fastest shrinking city in the state
- Titans: Eddie George to star in Magnum P.I. episode on CBS in Hawaii
- 40 notable Alabama-made albums and EPs from 2018
- 35 notable Alabama-made albums and EPs from 2018
- Jonah Hill directs 'Mid90s,' now on DVD and Blu-ray
- 'Top Chef' Kentucky: Recap of episode 7
- Gisele Bundchen fires back in feud with 'queen of poison' minister
- Harvard study involving Anthem unit finds older insulins are both safe, cheaper
- Phoebe Robinson’s Work Diary: ‘The Sausage Is Getting Made Very Publicly, but It Makes You Fearless’
- Sean Ardoin Kreole Rock and Soul
- BILL VAUGHAN’S TASTY CLIPS: Beyoncé is nominated for seven Image Awards
- ‘Clueless’ Was Amy Heckerling’s Masterpiece. Is She Done With It? As If.
Alabama professor to direct episode of Oprah-produced show 'Queen Sugar' have 425 words, post on www.al.com at June 20, 2018. This is cached page on Konitono.News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.