Fitbit on Wednesday said it would be extending its support of the Pebble smartwatch ecosystem for an additional six months, until June 30, 2018.
Today’s announcement is bitter-sweet for longtime Pebble supporters and wearable technology as a whole.
Pebble, largely credited with jumpstarting the modern smartwatch movement, rose to fame in 2012 with its first Kickstarter project. The start-up went on to successfully fund several additional iterations of its smartwatch yet despite currently holding the record for three of the top five most funded Kickstarter projects of all-time, it was unable to make ends meet and abruptly halted all operations in December 2016. Shortly after, it was revealed that Fitbit had purchased the Kickstarter darling for a mere $23 million.
Pebble devices will continue to work after the official cut-off date although the following services will end:
- Pebble appstore
- Pebble forum
- Voice recognition features
- SMS and email replies
- Timeline pins from third-party apps (Calendar pins will keep working)
- CloudPebble development tool
As a sign of appreciation for the Pebble community’s continued enthusiasm for wearable technology, Fitbit is offering Pebble users a $50 discount off the cost of a Fitbit Ionic, the smartwatch it launched last summer alongside its $129 Flyer wireless headphones.
The Fitbit Ionic is the company’s first device powered by Fitbit OS and includes multiple features and experiences that Pebble users should be familiar with.
Pebble owners who purchased their device prior to December 7, 2016, should be eligible for the discount. Do note that you’ll need a valid Pebble serial number to redeem the offer. Full details can be found over on Fitbit’s support page.
- These are the best cheap Fitbit deals for January 2021
- Fitbit Versa 2 available at $50 discount on Amazon
- Best smartwatch deals for January 2021: Samsung, Fitbit, and Apple Watch sales
- The best Fitbit 2021: which Fitbit is right for you?
- The Fitbit Versa 2 just got a $30 price cut at Best Buy
- Fitbit Versa 2 selling at 17% discount on Amazon
- Advanced Smartwatches With Stress Monitoring Feature
- June Whitfield's most hilarious roles that changed the face of comedy
- Minecraft Earth servers to close down this June
- 'There's a lot of people demanding the end of violence...I am glad the men at Lexington and Concord didn't feel that way': Rush Limbaugh rebukes those calling for an end to unrest after MAGA mob run riot
- Minecraft Earth is closing in June
- Microsoft to shut down Minecraft Earth game on June 30
- Microsoft’s ambitious Minecraft Earth game is closing down on June 30th
- UK House Price Growth Slows Amid Third Lockdown Despite Ending Year at 'Record' High
- US Attorney launches federal excessive force investigation into death of Trump-supporting Air Force vet who was shot dead as rioters breached the Capitol
- Fiscal deficit touches 135.1 pc of FY21 target at November-end
- 'Attack on Titan' Manga Set to End in April
- Jose Mourinho one match away from ending Tottenham Hotspur's 13-year trophy drought
- The best cheap Fitbit sale prices and deals for January 2021
- Garmin vs Fitbit: how to pick the right fitness tracker for you
Fitbit to end support for Pebble smartwatches in June have 484 words, post on www.techspot.com at January 23, 2018. This is cached page on Konitono.News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.