Forget traditional camping trips – one hotel in Iceland has taken sleeping under the stars to a whole new level.
The rooms at the Buubble Hotel are actually large plastic bubbles which are entirely see-through, meaning that guests get completely unparalleled views of both the surrounding scenery and the arctic sky.
In fact, it’s been dubbed the ‘5 million star hotel’ because of the breathtaking night sky views, which even includes a sighting of the Northern Lights if you’re lucky enough.
And no need to pack your warmest sleeping bag – each of the bubble rooms boasts a comfortable double bed with plenty of duvets, blankets and pillows that are perfect for getting all snug.
Not to mention the rooms are heated and you can control the temperature yourself.
So no need to brave the arctic winter temperatures at night… unless you need to pay a visit to the loos of course.
There is a main house offering toilets, showers and a kitchen area – but you’ll have to walk out from the bubble to reach them.
Which we imagine at night, in the freezing cold, might not be quite so appealing.
Still, the bubbles definitely make for a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Because the plastic is see-through you get to take in the breathtaking surroundings without even having to leave the bed.
Even if you turn the heating up, you won’t find your view blocked by condensation, as the structure is kept inflated with a noiseless ventilation system which renews the air inside 2-7 times per hour to prevent any humidity.
However, this had us wondering – because it’s clear plastic, how private are the bubbles? Well, the hotel thought of that too.
For a start, you don’t get sent the address until you have confirmed your booking.
Meanwhile, each bubble is surrounded by trees so you can’t see the other rooms and guests are not permitted to wander the grounds. (Not to mention there isn’t a town nearby where people might walk from).
You can book the bubbles as a standalone, but the hotel also offers an overnight stay as part of a wider tour which includes visits to Thingvellir National Park, the Geysir Hot Springs, Gullfoss Waterfall and the Secret Lagoon. (Prices start from approx £439pp).
Feeling tempted? You can book bubble stays and the tours on the website here .
- UK weather forecast – Northern Lights could be visible TONIGHT once cloud and showers clear
- UK weather forecast: Northern Lights will be visible TONIGHT once cloud and showers clear
- Northern Light shuts free search site
- Northern Light nabs $20 million
- Northern lights: Count Anchorage among one of the latest LED cities
- What do 2 million stars look like? Europe’s space agency just gave us a map
- 'Star Wars Rebels' finale: Watch Thrawn throw down
- Millions take time off to watch the World Cup
- Amazon HQ2 Watch: Northern Virginia Checks the Most Boxes
- 3Nts at 3-Star Orlando Hotel from $128 per night
- 4Nts at 4-Star Tropicana Hotel in Las Vegas from $34 per night
- Inside Sweden's secret hotel for sour dough obsessives