- Bar Guide 2017
- Restaurant Guide 2016
- The Potlander 2017
- Best of Portland 2017
- Coffee Guide 2016
- Beer Guide 2017
- Going Coastal 2017
- Summer Guide 2017
- Events By WW
- Find A Paper
- Contact Us
- Contribute or Intern
- Submit Your Event
At the table with Wheeler was a representative of the Portland Business Alliance, which hammered former Mayor Charlie Hales over his handling of homelessness.
But PBA was playing both sides: It had contributed $1,200 to a KGW poll showing anger around homelessness, says PBA president and CEO Sandra McDonough.
She says funding the poll didn’t reflect criticism of City Hall. “Our conversations with the city since Jan. 1,” she adds, “have gotten a lot more productive.”
“I thought it was a really interesting poll,” she says. “I don’t think it’s surprising that people want more to be done. It really shows what Portlanders want is a program that lead with compassion and offers solutions for people who are living on the streets. They also want livability issues dealt with. They want both.”
Wheeler has taken a similar approach: increasing funding for homeless-camp cleanups while maintaining support for more shelter beds.
Rachel Monahan joined Willamette Week in 2016. She covers housing and City Hall.
- Foster helps Clogher Valley Show celebrate its centenary in style
- Mexico City Poised to Elect First Woman Mayor, Exit Poll Shows
- One in four female workers at World Bank has felt sexually harassed, poll shows
- Seattle repeals tax on large businesses such as Amazon, Starbucks aimed at combating homelessness
- Dublin City Council advertises for more help to count the number of homeless people
- To be against abortion is not simply 'a Catholic thing', says Archbishop as as two polls show increased support for yes campaign
- Charging people to park at work could help fund underground system
- Germans split on whether Merkel should remain chancellor, poll shows amid coalition feud
- Poll Shows Germans Want Trump to Follow Through With Troop Pullout Threat
- Senators search for options to help fund GovGuam
- Majority of people would not like to see Jackson and Olding play for Ireland again, poll shows
- Poll shows deep divisions between Israelis and American Jews