Sen. Cory Booker joined the call Friday for a “Green New Deal” to attack climate change, his latest appeal to the Democrats’ most liberal wing as he considers running for president in 2020. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, an incoming congresswoman and darling of the left, has called on Congress to take an aggressive approach to climate issues that rivals the economic New Deal that President Franklin Roosevelt implemented to battle the Great Depression. Booker’s endorsement comes as the former Newark mayor tries to counter the image that he is too aligned with the party’s corporate interests, including Wall Street and the pharmaceutical industry. That criticism regularly shows up in comment threads on Booker’s social media posts, and it could be a drag if he competes in a field of 2020 candidates that includes fellow Sens. Bernie Sanders of Vermont and Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, among others. Ocasio-Cortez, who joined Sanders on a livestreamed town hall on climate change earlier this month, wants a special congressional committee to develop a strategy to expand the use of renewable energy and move toward a nation that is “carbon-neutral,” meaning greenhouse gases that are produced are offset through other measures, such as planting more trees. Earth’s climate is changing faster than at any point in human history, primarily as… Read full this story
- Howard Schultz Rebukes Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Green New Deal: Trying to 'Solve One Extreme With Another'
- WATCH: Ad Exposes Gary Peters’ Support of ‘Extreme’ Medicare for All, Green New Deal
- REPORT: Just One Part Of The Green New Deal Costs $2,546 Per Family
- Bernie Sanders Says His $16-Trillion Green New Deal-Like Plan Will Create 20 Million Jobs
- Ocasio-Cortez’s ‘Green New Deal’ To Transform The US Economy Was Drafted Over A Single Weekend By A Bunch Of Millennial Staffers, Activists
- AOC Proposes Green New Deal Bill, Suggests Impeaching Trump Over Her Climate Agenda
- WATCH: Mike Lee Crushes ‘Green New Deal’ With Hilarious Illustrations On Senate Floor
- KLAVAN: After Praising It, Democrats Vote ‘Present’ On Green New Deal
- PolitiFact Gives Nikki Haley ‘Mostly False’ Rating For Saying Green New Deal Candidates Suggested Abortion As Population Control
- Energy treaty 'risks undermining EU's green new deal'
- McConnell agrees Green New Deal was a 'show vote'
- Kamala Harris Would Eliminate Senate Filibuster To Pass Green New Deal
Cory Booker backs 'Green New Deal' on climate change in latest appeal to party's left wing have 383 words, post on www.northjersey.com at August 8, 2017. This is cached page on Konitono News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.