Experts have termed Sumner County as the “best place to see” the total solar eclipse on Aug.21 but the designation comes with guaranteed heavy traffic and an influx of tourists from around the world. Most Sumner County school officials agreed Tuesday night that all schools need to be shut down on the day to prevent over 200 buses plying in traffic.”I’m very concerned about the traffic issues on that day, every time I have a meeting on the issue with different officials, the number of people coming on that day has gone higher and higher,” Sumner County Schools Director Del Phillips III said. ”The buses are my real and big concern.”The school system has put forward four options to make-up lost work time on Aug. 21. Option 1: Day early from Winter BreakThe first option put forward by school authorities is to begin school a day early after winter break, i.e. Jan. 2 instead of Jan. 3. ”We are accustomed as a district to come on that 2nd,” Jennifer Brown, Deputy Director, Sumner Schools told the board Tuesday. Both teachers and students will be out of school on Aug. 21. Teachers will begin school on Jan. 2 and first day of classes for students will be Jan. 3 instead of Jan…. Read full this story
- Third CCTV car set to patrol county schools looking for illegal parkers
- Programming of Memorial Boulevard School discussed by panel
- Schools invited to celebrate Northumberland Day
- Suffolk County Council confirms secondary school places on National Offer Day
- Records tumble at school's annual athletics sports day
- Outrage as ‘bullied’ girl, 10, dies in classroom ‘fight’ only for school to delete Facebook page when parents demanded answers
- On the right track to a fun family day out
- County Championship: James Anderson helps put Lancashire in control at Lord's
- Primary school’s diversity and LGBT lessons suspended after parents’ protests
- €120,000 question for parents: is the cost of a private school worth it?
- Cops hunt ‘armed and dangerous’ teen girl after ‘threat’ against Columbine and 20 other schools days before massacre anniversary
- DeKalb, Sycamore school officials address latest teacher shortage reports, substitute shortage
Sumner County Schools discussing options to make up Eclipse Day have 339 words, post on www.usatoday.com at June 8, 2017. This is cached page on Konitono News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.