Note to readers: The Journal News/lohud will lift the paywall from lohud.com on Tuesday, Nov. 6 and Wednesday, Nov. 7 so that all readers may access election coverage and sample content on a variety of topics. We invite everyone to enjoy this free access for two days and then consider subscribing so that you can stay informed on local news from Westchester, Rockland and Putnam counties.
Nearly 3,000 nursing homes across the country received U.S. News Best Nursing Home designation this year, including 72 in New York.
The latest look at nursing homes found 11 in Rockland and Westchester County earned the top designation, as well as one in Ulster County. The review rated all New York state facilities based on a range of metrics, including inspection, staffing and health care data.
The best nursing home designation required a “high-performing” in overall or short-stay rehabilitation ratings, and at least an “average” rating in the other field.
Average overall and high-performing short-stay:
- Regency Extended Care Center in Yonkers
- United Hebrew Geriatric Center in New Rochelle
- Helen Hayes Hospital RHCF in Haverstraw.
High-performing both overall and short-stay:
- Bayberry Nursing Home in New Rochelle
- The Osborn in Rye
- Kendal on Hudson in Sleepy Hollow
- Woodland Pond at New Paltz
- Northern Westchester Hospital TCU in Mount Kisco
High-performing overall (Not rated short-stay):
- Sunshine Children’s Home and Rehab Center in Ossining
- Elizabeth Seton Pediatric Center in Yonkers.
High-performing overall and average short-stay:
- Victoria Home in Ossining.
Better than Average overall and high-performing short-stay:
- Helen Hayes Hospital in West Haverstraw.
U.S. News evaluated more than 15,000 homes nationwide, in every state and nearly 100 major metropolitan areas. This year, 2,975 nursing homes earned the designation of a U.S. News Best Nursing Home.
“Several million Americans will spend at least some time in a nursing home this year, whether undergoing rehab after a hospital stay or as long-term residents,” said Brian Kelly, editor and chief content officer of U.S. News.
“Finding a nursing home that meets an individual’s specific needs can be overwhelming,” he said. “The Best Nursing Home ratings are designed to help potential residents and their families navigate this important decision.”
Now in its ninth year, the U.S. News Nursing Home Finder offers information about care, safety, health inspections, staffing and more for almost all nursing homes in the country.
People can search for a highly rated nursing home by location, Medicare and Medicaid coverage, Alzheimer’s care and size.
The ratings reflects U.S. News’s analysis of data collected and published by the federal government, U.S. News officials said, adding it is intended for people to begin their search for senior care and should be used in consultation with their medical professional.
This year U.S. news introduced a new Short-Stay Rehabilitation rating. It aims to provide patients with a clearer view of the quality of care provided by nursing homes to short-stay patients in need of intensive rehabilitation or nursing services before they return home after a surgery, stroke, accident or illness.
Out of nearly 13,000 nursing homes that were evaluated, 2,042 earned a High-Performing rating in Short-Stay Rehabilitation.
Other local nursing homes
Better than average overall and average short-stay:
- Friedwald Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, LLC in New City
- Lutheran Center at Poughkeepsie Inc.
- Martine Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing in White Plains
- New Paltz Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing
- Northern Manor Geriatric Center Inc. in Nanuet
- Hudson Valley Rehabilitation and Extended Care Center in Highland
- Northern Metropolitan Residential Health Care Facility Inc. in Monsey
- Northern Riverview Health Care Inc. in Haverstraw
- Pine Valley Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing in Spring Valley
- Sutton Park Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation in New Rochelle
- The Wartburg Home in Mount Vernon
- Wingate of Dutchess in Fishkill
- Wingate of Ulster in Highland.
Better than average overall (Not rate short-stay):
- The Knolls in Valhalla
- The Steven and Alexandra Cohen Ped LTC Pavilion in Valhalla.
Average both overall and short-stay:
- Bethel Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Croton-on-Hudson
- Bethel Nursing Home Company Inc. in Ossining
- Cortlandt Healthcare in Cortlandt
- Ferncliff Nursing Home Co. Inc. in Rhinebeck
- Fishkill Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing in Beacon
- Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation in New Rochelle
- Golden Hill Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Kingston
- North Westchester Restorative Therapy and Nursing Center in Mohegan Lake
- Northern Dutchess Residential Health Care Facility Inc. in Rhinebeck
- Putnam Ridge in Brewster
- Renaissance Rehabilitation and Nursing Care Center in Staatsburg,
- St. Cabrini Nursing Home in Dobbs Ferry
- The Eleanor Nursing Care Center in Hyde Park
- The Grand Rehabilitation and Nursing at Pawling
- The Pines at Poughkeepsie Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation
- Tolstoy Foundation Rehabilitation and Nursing Center in Valley Cottage
- Wingate at Beacon
- Yorktown Rehabilitation and Nursing Center in Cortlandt
Worse than average overall and average short-stay:
- Adira at Riverside Rehabilitation and Nursing in Yonkers
- Andrus on Hudson in Hastings-on-Hudson
- Dumont Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing Care in New Rochelle
- Nyack Ridge Rehabilitation and Nursing Center in Valley Cottage
- Salem Hills Rehabilitation and Nursing Center in Purdys
- Sans Souci Rehabilitation and Nursing Center in Yonkers
- Sprain Brook Manor Rehabilitation in Scarsdale
- Tarrytown Hall Care Center in Tarrytown
- The Baptist Home at Brookmeade in Rhinebeck,
- The Emerald Peek Rehabilitation and Nursing Center in Peekskill
- The Enclave at Port Chester Rehabilitation and Nursing Center
- The Grand Rehabilitation and Nursing at River Valley in Poughkeepsie.
- The Grove at Valhalla Rehabilitation and Nursing Center
- The New Jewish Home, Sarah Neuman, in Mamaroneck
- The Paramount at Somers Rehabilitation and Nursing Center
- White Plains Center for Nursing Care, LLC.
Worse than average overall and high-performing short-stay:
- Cedar Manor Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Ossining.
Poor overall and average short-stay:
- Briarcliff Manor Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing Care
- Sky View Rehabilitation and Health Care Center LLC in Croton-on-Hudson
- The Willows at Ramapo Rehabilitation and Nursing Center in Suffern
- Yonkers Gardens Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation in Yonkers.
Poor overall and below average short-stay:
- Westchester Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing in Mount Vernon
Poor overall (Not rated short-stay):
- Sapphire Nursing at Wappingers in Wappingers Falls
- Schaffer Extended Care Center in New Rochelle.
- World Series rating up 17 percent over 2012
- World Series rating for opener drops to low
- Report: F1 champion Schumacher may return home by end of summer
- NBA reporter Craig Sager cleared to go home after latest leukemia treatment, son says
- Hawks reportedly have ‘very intense’ practice after home loss to Miami
- Report: Raiders could find a temporary home in San Antonio
- World Series champ Red Sox return for home opener
- World Series scene shifts, Cards right at home
- Coyotes reportedly looking at Coliseum as temporary home
- Report: Los Angeles Rams will be home team for 2018 game in China
- Report: Villanova, Virginia to play a home-and-home series
- Report: Georgia and UCLA schedule future home-and-home football series