- Russian correspondents reported the incident based on what they saw from the minister’s plane
- A NATO official confirmed that three Russian aircraft, including two fighters, were tracked over the Baltic Sea
Washington (CNN)A Polish NATO F-16 fighter jet tried to intercept the plane of Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu in the Baltic Sea Wednesday, according to Russian state media.
A busy month above the Baltic Sea
CNN’s Oksana Brown, Mary Ilyushina, Pamela Boykoff, Emma Burrows and Ryan Browne contributed to this report.
- Belgian Air Force Says F-16 Jet Intercepted Russian Planes Over Baltics (VIDEO)
- Fighter Jets Intercept Russian Bombers Heading for British Airspace and Ignoring Air Traffic Controls
- Russian fighter jet intercepts US Navy plane
- NATO jet approaches Russian defense minister's plane
- Dramatic moment RAF Typhoon fighter jets intercept Russian supersonic 'Blackjack' bombers flying towards UK
- Russia claims NATO jet 'chased off' by its fighters Tuesday
- Russian defense minister's plane buzzed by NATO jet over Baltic
- US fighter planes intercept Russian combat jets off Alaska, Sweden protests 'violation'
- NATO says more Russian buzzing of Baltic airspace a risk for deadly mistakes
- RAF fighter jets intercept SIX Russian bombers flying near NATO airspace over the Black Sea
- UK jets scambled over Russian patrol plane