A 38-year-old Long Island man named Patrick O’Meara has been charged with a hate crime after assaulting two transgender women who were trying to enter a McDonald’s in Queens, New York on Friday.
According to DNAinfo’s report, O’Meara pushed one of the women to the ground where he punched and kicked her while he screamed sexist and homophobic slurs at both of them. O’Meara left the women there briefly only to return with a cane, which he used to hit one of the victims in the head.
Cops told DNAinfo that one woman was treated at the scene, while the other woman, according to the criminal complaint, was taken to a local hospital. When cops arrived at the scene O’Meara tried acting as if he was in fact the one who’d been attacked, saying, “Those bitches assaulted me, I’m pressing charges, fuck you, you fucking faggot,” according to the criminal complaint. A witness to the crime has refuted O’Meara’s claime, telling DNAinfo, “He was harassing everybody that was walking by but when the trans women walked by he cleary was infuriated.”
Cops found a glass crack pipe in O’Meara’s pocket when they arrested him. O’Meara was charged in January for stealing and then driving a Volvo while drunk.
LGBTQ justice organizer at Make the Road New York, Bianey García, issued a statement condemning the attack:
We condemn this brutal hate attack and stand in solidarity with the survivors. We are horrified that transgender individuals in our community have suffered yet another hate attack. Transgender immigrant women like me are part of the heart and soul of our Jackson Heights, and we will not stand idly by as our community faces discrimination and violence. We will continue to organize in our communities and send the message that Jackson Heights and New York City must welcome and embrace all of us, and that hate has no place in our neighborhood and our City.
According to the New York City Anti-Violence Project, seven transgender women were murdered this past January and February in the US. Addressing the recent spike in violence against transgender women, The Southern Poverty Law Center recently wrote, “given the Trump administration’s most recent rescinding of President Barack Obama’s guidance on protections for transgender school children, along with the withdrawal from a court challenge related to this guidance by Jeff Sessions and the Department of Justice, there is concern that these murders will go overlooked by the Trump administration.”
- New York man caught on camera threatening to deport Spanish-speaking restaurant workers
- Is West New York man a killer, or was it alcohol-fueled self defense?
- Trump’s long, angry feud with the New York attorney general now accused of abusing women
- Harvey Weinstein Arrested and Handcuffed on Rape Charges in New York
- New York Today: The Latest on Eric Schneiderman
- Man who called black woman a 'loud mouthed monkey' charged with hate crime
- Three out of five Muslims have been victims of hate crime, new figures reveal
- Hate-crime numbers in Chicago fell in 2017, and experts aren't sure why
- DaShawn Horne was brutally beaten in a hate crime months ago. Now, his homecoming is marred by family turmoil
- Officials: Long Beach man charged with hate crime after LIRR rant
- Hunt for man who pulled at Muslim woman's hijab in Newcastle hate crime
- Lawyer filmed giving racist rant in New York cafe says ‘I’m not racist’
- The New York Times Enters the Icy Domain of Jordan Peterson, the Incel's Intellectual
- Phoenix Police Looking for Suspect in Potential Anti-LGBTQ Hate Crime
- Puerto Rico Strong: A Reggaeton Festival Brings Joy to New York
- Multiple Women Accuse New York AG Eric Schneiderman of Abuse
- It might be quicker to get to New York than the Lake District this Bank Holiday, research finds
- Harvey Weinstein to be arrested in New York on Friday – reports
- Four women accuse New York attorney general of physical abuse; Cuomo calls for resignation
- To tackle London's epidemic of violent crime we can learn from New York and Scotland
New York Man Charged With Hate Crime For Attacking Two Transgender Women Trying to Enter a McDonald's have 666 words, post on jezebel.com at March 18, 2017. This is cached page on Konitono.News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.