I’m 51 and I am beginning to go through all the wonderful things a woman goes through at this age or sooner. My mom said she began going through this when she was 53 years old. I believe the mood swings started way earlier than that for her and she just didn’t realize what it was at the time.
Why am I speaking about this today? I’m not sure. Maybe I just need to share and vent. Maybe because I don’t feel like I’ve been myself lately. I’m normally a happy go lucky person. Lately – What the heck? I have to make myself not lose it at times; not get sad, angry or impatient over stupid things.
I decided to look up symptoms. Wow, I have a lot of them. It’s crazy that this happens, but I’m glad I’m not just losing it and there’s a good reason. Not that anything’s good about it!!!! LOL!
The most prevalent one, of course, seems to be hot flashes. That’s the one I don’t really get. THANK GOODNESS! Maybe once in a while I experience something, but not like they explain.
It was hard for me to press publish because this is more personal than my usual blogs, but I feel it may help someone and that’s why I share my stories.
The symptoms I am experiencing:
- Irritability. Where I normally would have patience, I do not. I get irritable easily. I try my very best not to show this.
- Mood swings. A sudden feeling of sadness or the urge to cry. I do not know exactly how to explain it, but, some days I feel sad for no reason. And this is me – Mrs. Positive.
- Trouble sleeping or falling back to sleep.
- Irregular menstrual cycle including heavier cycles and phantom cycles (getting all of the symptoms beforehand without the actual cycle.)
- Fatigue. This is a big one. Sometimes, wanting to do nothing and at the end of the day, feeling more tired than usual or normal.
- Anxiety. I am not one who gets anxious, but now, every once in a while, things make me anxious. Really? I’m not happy about this one, at all.
- At times, difficulty concentrating and/or focusing when I’d normally be very focused.
- The urge to urinate more. There’s no waiting.
- Headaches more often. All of my life, for the most part, I only got a headache one day per month – during my cycle – but now it’s more often.
- Gastrointestinal issues. Indigestion, gas pain and nausea at times. This is unusual for me. Also, all of a sudden feeling and getting bloated.
- Weight gain. This I’m doing my best to keep under control by eating healthy and exercising. As you know, I recently lost weight and will continue to stay on the healthy track. Hopefully, this will help with this one.
- Hair loss. When I comb my hair now it comes out in strands. NOT MY HAIR!!! I also am seeing an increase in facial hair, damn it!
- Dizziness and becoming light headed have become a little more common when I’m doing certain things. This was something I never had before.
- Increased bleeding of my gums when I floss.
- A change in my fingernails; softer.
- Craving different foods.
- A different feeling with libido every now and then.
I didn’t even realize that half of the crazy things that have been occurring within my body and mind are due to this darn perimenopause. I’m hoping, by sharing, it can possibly bring light to your situation if you are experiencing the same things. I’m not a physician though, this is just my experience. If you are experiencing any of these issues, seek help from a physician.
I know these are symptoms of something that is way bigger than I am, so trying to control them is not always as easy as it might seem. I’m sure men do not or can not understand at all. I am ready for some answers. My OB/GYN and everything I read, say, until I don’t have my cycle for one full year, I am not going through menopause. So then how do I treat something I don’t, supposedly have? Help me!!!!
Have a great day!!! If you are experiencing any of this, I’d love to hear from you!!!! You may be able to help someone with your words of wisdom or your venting, so they realize, they are not going through it alone!
MORE FROM Get Motivated, Get Fit
- What Students Are Saying About: How to Treat Robots, Being Resilient and ‘Ghosting’
- 'I was raped but they told me to keep quiet'
- I Have a Plan For You
- I Wouldn't Be a Writer Without Rookie
- We are passionate sex buddies, but I now want more – although she doesn’t
- The Reporter Who Exposed New York Times Star Glenn Thrush's Sexual Misconduct Says She Was the Victim of a Smear Campaign
- Some Things I've Learned Since Losing My Job
- The biggest change is that I don't have privacy any more
- Steve McQueen: Are the Oscars diverse? I don’t care, I really don’t
- I just want to know why, asks dog owner after beloved pet has part of ear cut off outside supermarket
- I love waking up next to my new fling – but he’s my sister’s ex and I’m not sure I should be with him
- I Drank The KonMari Kool-Aid And I Have Regrets