As newly elected congresswomen are poised to color this city blue, one wonders what effect they’ll realistically have on the gridlock known as the House of Representatives. At final count, 101 women, mostly Democrats, are headed this way come January. Will they — or can they — work with Republicans? A popular assumption is that women, solely by virtue of their sex, are somehow better equipped than their male counterparts to find solutions. But are women in 2019 really so eager to form circles, thrash seeds and communally suckle our relatively infant-nation into a more-mature and efficient version of itself? Another popular (in some circles) assumption counters the other — that women only pretend to work together while actually backstabbing each other to get ahead. Cat-fighting may be an outdated stereotype, but it didn’t come from nowhere. To begin to answer these questions, four women — two from each party — put their heads together and created a one-day, bipartisan confab here — the “Elevate” summit — to discuss issues on which women can find common ground. The organizers recognized that social issues remain divisive, but a myriad of other concerns provide opportunities to work together, including caregiving, health care… Read full this story
- FBI reaches out to second woman who has accused Kavanaugh
- Mia Love, Sole Black Republican Woman in Congress, Fights for Her Seat
- Coons talks Flake, FBI report and more on episode of This American Life
- Jenny Wilson: Local leader hopes to bring bipartisanship to D.C.
- Sen. Susan Collins: ‘I look at this as an opportunity’
- Trump calls for bipartisanship, threatens Democrats
- Full transcript: "Face the Nation" on October 7, 2018
- These are the women who will decide the midterm elections
- They’re Angry, Disgusted and Out for Revenge. But Do They Exist?
- Stephen Duprey: McCain was a courageous leader and an amazing friend
- Full transcript: "Face the Nation" on August 26, 2018
- Primary guide: Governor
Bipartisanship, thy name is Woman have 315 words, post on www.theadvertiser.com at January 10, 2014. This is cached page on Konitono News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.