Lucy Maud Montgomery’s novel Anne of Green Gables is 100 years old this April, and the Annery is in full swing. Already there’s a “prequel”, Budge Wilson’s Before Green Gables, which chronicles the life of spunky, strange, but endearing Anne Shirley before she hit Prince Edward Island’s Green Gables farmhouse in a splatter of exclamation marks, apple blossoms, freckles and embarrassing faux pas. And there’s yet another mutton-sleeved, button-booted, Gibson-girl-hairdo’ed television show in the offing – Anne of Green Gables: A New Beginning – due in 2009, following the 1919 silent film, the 1934 talkie, the 1956 television version, the 1979 Japanese animé, the 1985 Green Gables series, the 1990-96 Road to Avonlea and the PBS Animated Series of 2000, not to mention the various parodies – Anne of Green Gut, Fran of the Fundy and its brethren – that have appeared over the years. On top of all that, a fresh edition of the first Anne book is available from the New Canadian Library, complete with the original illustrations. These are unsettling, as everyone in them has a very small head – Marilla in particular is not only pinheaded but practically bald – leading us to wonder about the… Read full this story
- 54% of Americans want Trump removed from office immediately in wake of Capitol riot - and 71% of people 'don't trust Ted Cruz with democracy'
- Zack Snyder reveals he wants to make an Elektra Lives Again movie for Marvel... 16 years after Jennifer Garner starred in Elektra
- When Varun Dhawan Revealed Why He Did Not Want Dad David Dhawan To Launch Him!
- Did England pass its peak BEFORE lockdown? Covid outbreaks started to slow at start of 2021 in Kent and other Tier 4 areas - but cases are still spiralling in Liverpool (so use our tool to work out how bad the situation is in YOUR area)
- Rep. Bustos: 'All you want in that moment is to live'
- Anne Hathaway wants to be referred to as 'Annie' moving forward as she reveals her mom is the only person who calls her Anne: 'Just feel free!'
- Who was Kim Cattrall’s brother Chris, when did he go missing and how did he die?
- Xi Jinping wants Starbucks and Howard Schultz to help repair US-China ties
- 'Chadwick Boseman wanted no shortcuts when he filmed while battling cancer'
- Donald Trump is STILL considering a self-pardon and wanted to go to the floor of the House to defend himself when he was being impeached, insiders reveal - but aides stopped him and persuaded him to make video instead
- Priyanka Chopra wants to have 'as many kids' as she can with husband Nick Jonas... as she talks about quarantine strengthening their relationship
- Janhvi Kapoor Says She Never Makes The First Move In Dating; Did Kartik Aaryan Take The Initiative?
'Nobody ever did want me' have 449 words, post on www.theguardian.com at March 29, 2008. This is cached page on Konitono News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.